Contribute
Register

Does it really matter how "compatible" my CPU Cooler is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97 UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600 Integrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Everyone,

I have a working (well aside from occasional audio issues) i7-4790K that's currently cooled by the weak stock fan, and it has no GPU so playing games like Counter Strike in the summer can cause the temps to approach 100C! So I need to upgrade my cooler, but I see that there's a list of recommended coolers here, and some of the coolers have a software component too like the NZXT Kraken (which I doubt would work on a Mac).

Does it really matter how compatible my cooler is or can I just pick whichever cooler I like at the store so long as it fits the chipset and case?

Thanks!

I'd think any air cooler should work fine. I don't remember specifics, but I do recall a few posts of people having issues with water coolers that had a (Windows) software component and a USB connection. The cooler was preventing sleep or something along those lines.

The main things to look for in a CPU cooler so far as "will it fit" are:
Does it have mounting brackets for your CPU? AMD brackets will not fit on an Intel CPU/mainboard and vice versa.

What is the maximum allowable height permitted by your case from the CPU to the side cover?
Smaller cases might restrict you to 120mm so a Megahalems at 196mm is totally out of the running.

Do the vapor tubes running from the heat transfer block up into the fins interfere with the RAM slots or the first PCIe slot GPU if mounted? Some do, especially with the high fin heat sinks on some RAM models.

Will the fan fit properly on the cooling fins above the RAM modules without interference with the RAM?

If all of the above answers are good then the CPU cooler will fit. For how well it works, try google search for "<CPU Cooler model> review" and see what frostytech or silentpc or your favorite hardware site like Tom's Hardware has to say about it.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm glad to know that fit is the main thing I have to consider and to look out for software on some.
I got spooked when I read that the NZXT Kraken had a software component.

Now I just have to figure out how much I want to spend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back