Contribute
Register

Does ASUS GeForce 8400GS work with Lion 10.7.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hackintosh
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2690 LGA2011
Graphics
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is there any trick to getting the ASUS GeForce 8400GS video card working under Lion 10.7.3? I have a build that includes the Core i3 HD 3000 graphics but I've given up on that due to all the problems with it (lines, artifacts, etc.). I've tried a few of the NV drivers on here, with no luck. I'm about at a point of re-installing from scratch and seeing if I have any better luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice / direction!

It does not appear that the ASUS GeForce 8400GS video card will work on a Hackintosh with Lion, at least without a lot of mods to some config files I wouldnt even know where to begin looking. Going back to using the built in video on the proc Core i3 HD 3000 graphics and hoping for some of the most recent fixes posted regarding lines and artifacts to get resolved.

Ahah! Thanks! That explains it then. I was able to return that card and may end up getting one of the supported cards if the built-in HD3000 graphics keep acting up. I have been able to apply some of the recommended patches (kexts) and it's been better but still not perfect. Looks like the GeForce 210 might be a good replacement for this low end system.

Thanks for the help!

Its possible to get working but I found that so far the performance I'm getting with the 8400gs 1Gb DDR3 card is on par with the 7300gs 256Mb card I was getting. You will have to modify the info.plist of NVDANV50HAL.kext with your cards deviceid as well as tweak the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext under the model mac you have your system running as.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=12646

i have an asus 8400gs running 10.7.3
this is how i got it working (a bit of a weird work-around)
installed lion while having my old card in there: gigabyte (GV-R4350C)
swapped out the cards after install for the 8400gs & it works.

everything seems to work (running 2 monitors: 1920x1200 + 1280x1024)
cinebench score is 3.92

if anyone knows of a way to up it, please shout!

I believe after the tweaks I performed in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext I was able to get up to 8.6 in cinebench running on a 23" Cinemadisplay at 1920x1200 resolution. I still feel that this card can really crank higher though. Per Xbench its about the same as I was getting with a 7300gs 256meg on Leopard (and in some cases worse).

veriatech said:
Is there any trick to getting the ASUS GeForce 8400GS video card working under Lion 10.7.3? I have a build that includes the Core i3 HD 3000 graphics but I've given up on that due to all the problems with it (lines, artifacts, etc.). I've tried a few of the NV drivers on here, with no luck. I'm about at a point of re-installing from scratch and seeing if I have any better luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice / direction!

I have the asus 8400gs working fully (hdmi etc) in Lion 10.7.3,just had to edit infoplist by adding device id 0x10c3 there is a post on here somewhere with instructions that even I could follow, If I can find it I'll link it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back