Contribute
Register

Does anyone have Sierra working on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I can't seem to get anything to work.
Hardware - Gigabyte GA-Z170n Wifi, 6700k, GTX 970, Sata SSD.
Bios - Fast boot disabled, UEFI mode only, XHCI Hand-off Enabled, VT-d Disabled

I was able to get through the initial Sierra installation, restart, and get into Sierra. The problem is that I can't get Multibeast to work. If I try to install Realtek ALC 1150x, the install fails. If I just select Clover v2.3k UEFI Boot loader, it says the installation succeeded, however, when I restart the computer, I still need to have the USB installation media in or else I get a no boot device error. So it would seem like Clover isn't installing.

I've looked at the forums but all I see is El Capitan help guides.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I can't seem to get anything to work.
Hardware - Gigabyte GA-Z170n Wifi, 6700k, GTX 970, Sata SSD.
Bios - Fast boot disabled, UEFI mode only, XHCI Hand-off Enabled, VT-d Disabled

I was able to get through the initial Sierra installation, restart, and get into Sierra. The problem is that I can't get Multibeast to work. If I try to install Realtek ALC 1150x, the install fails. If I just select Clover v2.3k UEFI Boot loader, it says the installation succeeded, however, when I restart the computer, I still need to have the USB installation media in or else I get a no boot device error. So it would seem like Clover isn't installing.

I've looked at the forums but all I see is El Capitan help guides.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Make sure that UEFI entry of your SSD have been configured as the first boot device on BIOS. Post a picture of BBS Popup/Boot Order Menu.

Simply making the SSD name as the first boot device will try booting in legacy mode only.

Make sure that UEFI entry of your SSD have been configured as the first boot device on BIOS. Post a picture of BBS Popup/Boot Order Menu.

Simply making the SSD name as the first boot device will try booting in legacy mode only.
Hmm, I think you are correct. I am using an Intel 520 series SSD as a trial run to install Sierra and it now that I look at it, it doesn't appear to have a UEFI boot mode in the BIOS. When I plug in the SSD that I normally use (currently has El Capitan on it), it does say UEFI: whatever model. Perhaps this old Intel 520 Series just isn't compatible with UEFI? I never realized that was drive dependent. Thanks for the tip though, it explains a lot.

Hmm, I think you are correct. I am using an Intel 520 series SSD as a trial run to install Sierra and it now that I look at it, it doesn't appear to have a UEFI boot mode in the BIOS. When I plug in the SSD that I normally use (currently has El Capitan on it), it does say UEFI: whatever model. Perhaps this old Intel 520 Series just isn't compatible with UEFI? I never realized that was drive dependent. Thanks for the tip though, it explains a lot.

I don't think that it is depends on HDD/SSD. You may missed something else.

Yea you're right. I tried the Sierra installation process with a newer SSD and the ability to boot off the SSD in UEFI mode disappeared. Not sure what is going on.

Yea you're right. I tried the Sierra installation process with a newer SSD and the ability to boot off the SSD in UEFI mode disappeared. Not sure what is going on.

So you are able to boot USB in UEFI mode but not the SSD. Am i right ??

Well I tried installing Clover separately but the results were the same. I guess I'm just going to go back to El Capitan at this point since it works and I have been messing with this thing for far too many hours. It's odd that nobody else on these forums seems to have encountered this issue, given that I purchased this motherboard based on the fact that it was recommended by the buyers guide. Jithin.C.V, I appreciate you taking the time to help me try and troubleshoot the issue. Thanks

Well I tried installing Clover separately but the results were the same. I guess I'm just going to go back to El Capitan at this point since it works and I have been messing with this thing for far too many hours. It's odd that nobody else on these forums seems to have encountered this issue, given that I purchased this motherboard based on the fact that it was recommended by the buyers guide. Jithin.C.V, I appreciate you taking the time to help me try and troubleshoot the issue. Thanks

You are installing the clover to EFI partition only right ??

Can you please attach clover installation log as a file here.

Also post a picture of Boot section from your BIOS.

FYI, This is not an issue with installed operating system (i.e., Sierra/EI Cap,etc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back