Contribute
Register

Does anyone have any success getting to the install screen on a GB X58A UD3R??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A UD3R (rev 1.0)
CPU
Core i7 950 3.06 Ghz
Graphics
XFX Radeon 6870 HD 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Gigabyte X58A UD3R + ATI 6870 (or any 6xxx), anybody get to the install screen?

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get this darn thing to work. My motherboard has an F6 bios. Check under my avatar for the type of graphics card I have (a 6870), and I've tried almost everything to get to the install screen. Nothing has worked so far. All I get is a white flash then a reboot. Running -v is so fast I can't see where it stops on a line of code.

I've tried every and all combinations of:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No
-v
-x
-f
PCIRootUID=0 and 1
Deleting the ATI3000Controller.kext and ATI6000Controller.kext files from my USB drive (hidden files that I ran through terminal to find)
Replacing my org.chameleon.Boot.plist with my old Lion 10.7.4 unibeast drive that had always had success with booting
Removing npci=0x3000 string
Editing npci=0x3000 string to 0x2000
Making a 10 GB partition on my current hard drive and installing unibeast on there

I am really really hoping those who have working x58a ud3r systems with 6xxx video cards can lend me a hand. I feel like I've tried everything on the menu to no avail.

I have loaded a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R BIOS FH with ML.

I have loaded a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R BIOS FH with ML. I think the problem is the graphics card. But try editing the you boot.plist.

Try:
npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1

This worked for me. Did you create boot usb with unibeast?

I have loaded a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R BIOS FH with ML. I think the problem is the graphics card. But try editing the you boot.plist.

Try:
npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1

This worked for me. Did you create boot usb with unibeast?

You mean you want me to edit the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in my unibeast drive by adding npci=0x3000 and PCIRootUID=1 ?

I do have an 8 gb usb drive created by unibeast. And I have tried typing in both those commands before pressing enter on the USB, but I still don't see the install screen.

Same Problem

I am running a GA-X58-UD3R Rev 2.0 BIOS FF with an 17 960 and a EVGA GTX560TI 448..have also tried everything. Getting the exact same problem as the OP. Cannot get to installer. Would welcome advice.

digifilmshd : Thanks for that but didn't make a difference :(

GA X58A UD3R Rev. 1 - Working

I have been successful with this mb on F6 BIOS and using the tonymacx86 Unibeast and Multibeast install method with the F6 DSDT from here too. Just installed straight from the flash drive. I'd be tempted to check your graphics card. If that fails, try checking the memory compatibility list on the GIGABYTE website. I had issues last year with SL last year, turned out it was a pure compatibility issue with my mb and memory sticks.
I am using 2 x Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb Graphics cards, again, worked straight out of the box! amazing, struggled for weeks and eventually gave up trying this with SL. I also have them SLI'd for Windows but ML doesn't mind.

On the bright side, I can vouch that the mb works, and apart from the normal sound etc, it's pretty much straight out of the box. Just need to get past this hurdle. When you do get through, if you need advice for sound look through my posts.

Hope this helps.

I have been successful with this mb on F6 BIOS and using the tonymacx86 Unibeast and Multibeast install method with the F6 DSDT from here too. Just installed straight from the flash drive. I'd be tempted to check your graphics card. If that fails, try checking the memory compatibility list on the GIGABYTE website. I had issues last year with SL last year, turned out it was a pure compatibility issue with my mb and memory sticks.
I am using 2 x Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb Graphics cards, again, worked straight out of the box! amazing, struggled for weeks and eventually gave up trying this with SL. I also have them SLI'd for Windows but ML doesn't mind.

On the bright side, I can vouch that the mb works, and apart from the normal sound etc, it's pretty much straight out of the box. Just need to get past this hurdle. When you do get through, if you need advice for sound look through my posts.

Hope this helps.

So, you didn't have any problems with a white flash/reboot when you used Unibeast to install ML? It's probably the fact that your graphics card has no compatibility issues but mine does. I don't know exactly what you mean when you say I should check compatibility of my card on the gigabyte website... would finding anything there help me get ML installed on my rig?

Hey Blackhawk,

I am 100% sure it has to be the Graphics card. The reason why I am so sure is that I have 2 identical systems. Same board (X58A-UD3R, Bios FF), CPU, RAM, even HDD. Only difference is the GPU. Radeon 5770 in one, 6870 in the other.
The system with the 5770 boots Unibeast no problem. The one with the 6870 shows exactly the behavior you describe.

I can't try it myself right now, but maybe this might help:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html

Regards,

Ice

Hey Blackhawk,

I am 100% sure it has to be the Graphics card. The reason why I am so sure is that I have 2 identical systems. Same board (X58A-UD3R, Bios FF), CPU, RAM, even HDD. Only difference is the GPU. Radeon 5770 in one, 6870 in the other.
The system with the 5770 boots Unibeast no problem. The one with the 6870 shows exactly the behavior you describe.

I can't try it myself right now, but maybe this might help:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html

Regards,

Ice

Thanks Ice, I don't think its specific to that one card as I have an EVGA GTX560Ti 448 and am getting identical issue as Blackhawk.

RAM compatibility

This was a seemless OS installation. No issues whatsoever, I was amazed, everything just kinda worked. The only thing I have had issues with is Sleep. I cannot get that working as of yet but I am sure with a bit of time on here I will find my answer to that.

On my SL installation, I hit so many walls I may aswell have been locked in London Tower. However, I spent time, money and hours on here and eventually got through to a working SL. I encountered many "normal" (if i may call them that) problems such as sound and graphics. The one that surprised me was the RAM. My RAM I had purchased new was not compatible with the board to full extent. (This was a voltage problem) Take a look at the GIGABYTE website and look for your mb in the products. When your there you'll see a Memory support list, this is where you'll be able to see if your memory is actually compatible with the board. the pdf is here: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-x58a-ud3r.pdf

HOWEVER: this was just my problem, I haven't seen this before on here and really, most RAM will work.

I would experiment with a different graphics card all together. Nip to PC World or similar and grab a Nvidia card and try it. You can always return them if you don't scratch them up. I was quite fortunate that PC World is quite close and I tired and tested many before settling on the Geforce 8800GTs.

Have you had SL working on this system?

When I have a few minutes I will write up a guide for my Spec although, I just followed the instructions on here :)

Thank you and everyone else for the feedback. I'm thankful I'm not alone on this one.

This was a flawless installation. No issues whatsoever, I was amazed, everything just kinda worked. The only thing I have had issues with is Sleep. I cannot get that working as of yet but I am sure with a bit of time on here I will find my answer to that.

On my SL installation, I hit so many walls I may aswell have been locked in London Tower. However, I spent time, money and hours on here and eventually got through to a working SL. I encountered many "normal" (if i may call them that) problems such as sound and graphics. The one that surprised me was the RAM. My RAM I had purchased new was not compatible with the board to full extent. (This was a voltage problem) Take a look at the GIGABYTE website and look for your mb in the products. When your there you'll see a Memory support list, this is where you'll be able to see if your memory is actually compatible with the board. the pdf is here: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-x58a-ud3r.pdf

HOWEVER: this was just my problem, I haven't seen this before on here and really, most RAM will work.

I would experiment with a different graphics card all together. Nip to PC World or similar and grab a Nvidia card and try it. You can always return them if you don't scratch them up. I was quite fortunate that PC World is quite close and I tired and tested many before settling on the Geforce 8800GTs.

Have you had SL working on this system?

When I have a few minutes I will write up a guide for my Spec although, I just followed the instructions on here :)

Yes, I have had SL and L work virtually flawlessly on my current rig (heck, I still have L running 10.7.4 right now, which is what I used to make my unibeast drive). That being said, I don't think it's the RAM at all, but definitely the graphics card. There is something in ML that is fishy about the 6000 series cards that differs from L, which had no problem or hiccups with installing. I have no idea what the root of the problem is for us, but I feel confident that Tonymac and the rest of the gang will figure it out. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to check out Ice's link. I've been stressing over this all weekend, and I'm back on Win 7 to keep me sane. haha

Interestingly enough, I forgot to mention that I have been trying to install ML with an HDMI cable, even when deleting the ATI6000controller.kext. Perhaps I need to use DVI to stay clear from using my graphics card to try and install. This might be the issue. I'll try tomorrow and post back if it works!

Update: DVI doesn't work. :( I guess I didn't realize that DVI is still plugged into my graphics card, and I don't see any VGA port on the back of my motherboard. So I'm SOL right now. If anyone has ideas please share!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back