Contribute
Register

Do you like the mountain mods or Li Lan modular mobo tray for your G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
2009 Mac Mini
CPU
Core 2 duo 2ghz
Graphics
Radeon 9400m
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking to get a modular motherboard tray for my G5 project. The options I am finding are the Li Lan with a single 80mm fan hole or the mountain mods with 2x80mm. Any reason the mountain mods tray is $15-20 other than the other 80mm fan hole? Sorry if it's been asked a million times before, I didn't find a comparison using search.

I use the Mountain Mods try myself. And just so you know, shipping costs another $20 or so.
I prefer the two fans over the one.

I'm looking to get a modular motherboard tray for my G5 project. The options I am finding are the Li Lan with a single 80mm fan hole or the mountain mods with 2x80mm. Any reason the mountain mods tray is $15-20 other than the other 80mm fan hole? Sorry if it's been asked a million times before, I didn't find a comparison using search.

I am not very fond of either. I purchased the LIAN LI tray and ended up re-manufacturing it. There are other options. Take a look at the http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/motherboard-trays/ as another to consider.

neil

Woah! Wish I would have known about this before I paid $70 for the MM tray! :s

Woah! Wish I would have known about this before I paid $70 for the MM tray! :s

Yes paying $60 for the mATX kit and another $30 for the tray is a much better option....

I have the Lian Li mobo tray and its great, I would prefer to have two 80mm fans but with one it works fine! Plus you save a lot of money going the Lian Li route :)

I got a Mountain Mods tray before there price hike :/
I still have one sitting ready to go into my next project as well but I will most likely not buy from them again because of price.

There are also some computer cases that are older that can be taken apart and the motherboard tray used from them as well as the wiring and other useful items.

I'm making my own motherboard tray, with the backpanel of an old PC case and a sheet of aluminium !

I am not very fond of either. I purchased the LIAN LI tray and ended up re-manufacturing it. There are other options. Take a look at the http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/motherboard-trays/ as another to consider.

neil

The link to 'The Hive' looks like a great deal! Am I right in thinking that you bought your motherboard tray and backplate for a G5 conversion from there? Could you tell me the details of your setup motherboard-wise? My reservations are that the site only mentions mATX motherboard backplates, rather than full ATX. (They do sell ATX MB trays, just no mention of the backplates being ATX compatible). On the same topic, aren't mATX and ATX I/O exactly the same, meaning their existing backplates would work fine for an ATX MB?
Any other general comments or views about the products from the site would also be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to decide on whether or not to go with this route.
Thanks for the link, and for any advice you can give!

The link to 'The Hive' looks like a great deal! Am I right in thinking that you bought your motherboard tray and backplate for a G5 conversion from there? Could you tell me the details of your setup motherboard-wise? My reservations are that the site only mentions mATX motherboard backplates, rather than full ATX. (They do sell ATX MB trays, just no mention of the backplates being ATX compatible). On the same topic, aren't mATX and ATX I/O exactly the same, meaning their existing backplates would work fine for an ATX MB?
Any other general comments or views about the products from the site would also be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to decide on whether or not to go with this route.
Thanks for the link, and for any advice you can give!

http://www.thelaserhive.com/product...ts/g5-full-atx-kit-120-and-original-versions/

Kits in full ATX are now available, but for the moment these are tailored towards keeping the motherboard towards the top of the case - meaning that for these kits the hard drive holders need to be re-located. Bespoke configurations can be made to order though. There is no online buying as yet, everything is by email and then via paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back