Do Not Update Bios on ASUS Z170 Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170-Deluxe
CPU
Graphics
GTX960OC-4GB
Hi. I just wanted to share my experience about updating bios in z170 deluxe. any bios version higher than 2202 will cause the nvram to disappear. eg nvidia web driver needs nvram to load, therefore it wont work any more. also for some mysterious reason even the audio driver applehda wont work any more. if you already have done this the only way to solve this is to downgrade bios with flashback. put the old version bios on a usb memory stick rename it to z170d and plug it to the usb port with an IC mark under it, press the flashback button and wait till it finishes.

Hi. I just wanted to share my experience about updating bios in z170 deluxe. any bios version higher than 2202 will cause the nvram to disappear. eg nvidia web driver needs nvram to load, therefore it wont work any more. also for some mysterious reason even the audio driver applehda wont work any more. if you already have done this the only way to solve this is to downgrade bios with flashback. put the old version bios on a usb memory stick rename it to z170d and plug it to the usb port with an IC mark under it, press the flashback button and wait till it finishes.
if you find no nvram after update another way is if you want to keep updated bios is to use AptioMemoryFix.efi

This has been known for a while. Go to the Downloads > Clover Builds and download the following:
Run the Uninstaller and then run the Clover...r4522 installer and reboot. Now, you can update your BIOS.

Starting with Sierra, MultiBeast has had the above option when doing fresh installs:
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Bootloaders -> Clover v2.4k r4xxx UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM
...​

Let me know if you have any questions.

but isn't it better to use native nvram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back