Contribute
Register

DO NOT INSTALL! FOR REAL MACS/IMACS ONLY! Thunderbolt Firmware Update (4-12-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD7 TH
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was working along and a notification popped up for an update so I blindly clicked it. It ended up being a Thunderbolt firmware update. My mobo has Thunderbolt ports that I'm using for NAS so I figured I'd let it run and see what happens.

Update finishes abd restarts.... but it won't start. No panic, no errors, literally just gets to the point it's about to flip over from the Apple logo to the login screen (in verbose mode as well) and stalls. It does nothing. I let it sit for 2 hours and nothing

Ive tried every boot flag I know; safe mode, single user, without caches, without kernel, and every combination of those and still can't get it to boot. Can't even get it to boot with my rescue USB. Any tips to "undo" the update or get into El Cap?

Thunderbolt Firmware Update (4-12-2016)

I managed to get to the installer using the USB drive and single user... I could not get it to load to my desktop. Reinstalling 10.11.4 on top of my last installation now, we'll see what happens...

That firmware update is for real Macs who have Thunderbolt. What is your System Definition?

Installed the same update yesterday. I can boot into OSX but only the mouse cursor is visible.

System definiton was iMac 13,1 or 13,2 im not sure.

Sytem specs
Asus B85M-G
G3258 (FakeCPUID 0x0106E0)
Gigabyte R9 270X 2GB

Have not yet tried removing the GPU and using the Intel graphics.

That firmware update is for real Macs who have Thunderbolt. What is your System Definition?

System definition is iMac 13.2

This is a bad update and needs attention.

After I accidentally installed it, I was forced to reinstall from scratch, there was no getting into OS X either via boot flags or with my USB. This time I installed SRTools.

Completely reinstalled and the update appears again in the App Store. My settings were specifically set not to download, not to install (System Preferences > App Store - all boxes unchecked.

I ran the ignore script in terminal to remove it and it did disappear. A few minutes later, all my USB ports stopped working; 2.0 and 3.0. I had to hook up a bluetooth mouse just to restart. When I did restart, the same issue happened as before, the update had somehow installed itself. SRTools wouldn't even undo the update and I had to completely reinstall again.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!! DO NOT RUN THE IGNORE SCRIPT FOR THIS UPDATE!!! IT WILL CRASH YOUR SYSTEM!!!

Looks like I will have to reinstall also.
Maybe changing the system definition would help to hide the update in future (if I understood correctly non thunderbolt macs should not have this update)?

I installed the update accidentally but I haven't faced any issues yet. Sys def was mac mini 6,2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back