CPU
Core i7-3970X
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Some users have asked me how I got the wireless working. I mistakenly had the 552 in my signature, but I am actually using the 556. In any case, the procedure should be the same for this series of wireless cards and a far better solution than the USB wireless sticks in my opinion. (I tried three different USB wireless that all used the RaLink driver and none worked for me after the 10.6.2 update)

After using tonymacx86 bootloader CD and tutorial, my wireless actually worked correctly during the OSx install finalization and prompted me for my wireless SSID and key. On my first install attempt the wireless worked, but after any reboots the wireless would not turn on automatically so I had to launch airport on every login to reconnect to my network which was kind of annoying. On my latest install I simply installed the kext right after running the 10.6.2 update and before any other modifications.

1. Download the atherosfixed.kext at:
http://www.kexts.com/view/158-dlink_dwa ... less_.html
2. Use KextHelper b7
3. Use Kext Utility to fix permissions on the System/Library/Extensions
4. Run repair from Disk Utility
5. Reboot
6. Open up airport and configure settings

I can not confirm if this matters, but I fixed the wireless, the sound and the video card all separately from each other and in that order. I fixed permissions and did repair after each kext install and rebooted in between just to ensure that each component worked before fixing the next one. You should also see the airport loading during bootup sequence with a line that shows something to the effect of a successful handshake.

I hopes this helps out anyone that is having issues. The USB wireless sticks may be cheaper, but this Dlink is definitely the way to go and seems to be a stronger signal with the three antennas!

Hi,

I have the Dlink wifi pci card 547 which is not exactly the same as yours but hey may have the same chip. I had no trouble to install it with the appropriated kext, but the problem is I get Kernel Panic every time I activate Airport in the menu Bar. The airport utility searches for networks, finds mine, connects, and a few seconds of use later, I get the Kernel Panic. My card is recognized, working, but generates KP.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, It's been talked about on other forums, but I wondered if anyone around here had a solution !

My config:
i7 860, P55-UD3, 8gb RAM, ATI 4890.

i have the same problem as you guys.

My experience tells me it's CPU related...
I know, it sound strange.

I had an Asus P5K mobo with a C2D E8600, with a Dlink PCI wifi card
Everything worked fine uneder 10.6.3

Then i changed my mobo + cpu + ram for a Gigabyte P55-UD3 and a Core i5 750
and the problem started.
At first i thought it was a bad CPU recognition, i posted on this forum (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1322), and i managed to boot using "busratio=20 cpus=1" args.
It worked just fine.
But what's the point buying a powerful CPU if you can't use it right ?

This morning i got fed up of it, and seeing people on forums not having any problems with the same CPU & mobo, so i reinstalled EVERYTHING ;
but again, i can't use wifi unless i give boot args "busratio=20 cpus=1" or i get KP

that sound very strange, but maybe you should try setting "busratio" and "cpus" arg for your own CPU and try the wifi that way...

Seems as though it's a problem with Atheros cards and Core i5/i7 processors. I'm having the same problem with my DWA 552. KP when I turn it on and connect. Disable all but 1 core in the BIOS and disable multi-threading, then it works great. Hopefully there's a fix for this soon. Does anyone know of a wireless N card that works with the i7 processor on 10.6.3 as an Airport device? I don't want to mess with the RALINK stuff.

-thanks

Don't worry guys, you arent the only ones with that problem. I have a TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N card that gives me kernel panics unless you run it with only 1 core. It also has an atheros chipset in it. Still looking for answers.

I will try this one. I have had very little luck getting the DWL-520 vD1 to work. Realtel 8180 chipset (8180 10EC) I have 10.6.5

Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back