Contribute
Register

Display or Graphics problem boot to black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uff this laptop :crazy::crazy::banghead:...
I patched everything like you said but still it boots but my internal display doesn't work...
I attached EFI/CLOVER & a copy of ioreg

View attachment 207305

What is happening on the internal display?
You should probably verify that EDID is correct.
Also check BIOS setting for DVMT-prealloc. Make sure the setting matches the framebuffer (64mb with the patch you have in config.plist).
Make sure CSM/legacy boot is enabled in BIOS.

Nothing is happening I get nothing after boot sound. Here take a look:
image.jpeg

I don't have Dvmt-prealloc in my settings and yes legacy is turned on

How do I check if settings are matching my framebuffer?

I don't have Dvmt-prealloc in my settings and yes legacy is turned on

The setting is still there, but hidden... read the FAQ for other ways to check it.

How do I check if settings are matching my framebuffer?

Your framebuffer is currently using 64mb due to the patch present in your config.plist. 64mb is the most common setting.

You could also remove the patch from config.plist related to HD4000 64mb. That will leave it at 32mb (0x01660004 uses 32mb).

Does your laptop work with 10.11?

No , I had the same problem with 10.11 and 10.10 .

No , I had the same problem with 10.11 and 10.10 .

You might use search/google to check for existing guides. Certainly you're not the first to hack this old laptop. Perhaps you will find the clue to the correct graphics setup by looking at other guides for the same laptop.

I searched every google page and osx website for answers but I found nothing related to this problem.. I found a few people who succesfully installed osx (mavericks or yosemite) but they don't have any tutorial or explications on how to install osx on this laptop...

Last edited:
It is a fairly old laptop to be fair, 5 years is my guess
Might have some unsupported components
Often times, there aren't guides for laptops that old

Hello all,

For anyone that might stumble on this thread in the future, here is what I did to get the screen working with FULL graphics:

1) Do NOT inject any EDID.
2) Do not put anything under the ig-platform-id (Just blank).
3) Make sure to check the box that says inject Intel.

And that's how I got mine working since Yosemite. I am now running El Capitan without any graphical glitches. So far, I have tested these settings on two different XPS 12 and they both work.

Disclaimer:
* Do not ask me why these settings work, but they do :)

My guess is that Clover injects the correct ig-platform-id? The second I put in the expected value for HD4000 (0x0166004), it just hangs and hangs and never boots. So....I mistakenly left it blank one time and it booted with FULL graphics and ever since I am a happy camper.

Hope this helps someone as this isn't my main computer anymore. I hate the Cypress trackpad on this laptop with a passion!

My guess is that Clover injects the correct ig-platform-id?

Check in ioreg and you will see the ig-platform-id being used.

The second I put in the expected value for HD4000 (0x0166004),

Your profile indicates HD4400, not HD4000. No expectation that an Ivy Bridge configuration will work with Haswell.

Check in ioreg and you will see the ig-platform-id being used.

Your profile indicates HD4400, not HD4000. No expectation that an Ivy Bridge configuration will work with Haswell.

As I mentioned on my post, the dell xps 12 is not longer my main laptop (I rarely use it due to the Cypress touchpad). That's why I don't have it on my signature or profile. This laptop has HD4000.

The one on my signature is a dell xps 13 with a Synaptics touchpad and this one has HD4400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back