Contribute
Register

Display Artifacts... or is it something you can fix easily yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G45
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was lucky to score a HP Z27n with 2560x1440 resolution on Amazon.de.
A warehouse deal with minor scratches on back and bottom, plus on Prime Day another 20% off... score!

Then after installation there was some weird artifacts in the display. Specially in blue bars or background I would notice some weird vertical white lines, sort of dotted, but it would sort of go away when the mouse would hover near it but come back when the mouse went away. I tried a few things, and as this monitor is calibrated by HP I tried a few things but thought at some point it was either my graphics card, the cable or the monitor. Changing cable to DP, didn't help, result the same.
I then switched the monitor to my Dell Latitude, that has no issues with DP on a Dell P2418. But low and behold: same artifacts appeared also in Windows... And I also saw some red bleeding, again vertical stripes, but the color red was not even near the place this happened.

Long story short: By eventually dropping the contrast (59), choosing a cool color temp setting, 100% brightness, and image control/sharpness to level 4-6, the vertical lines are gone.

And what a killer monitor it is.

However I still ordered a AMD Rx 460. It'll replace the 650Ti.

So before you go hunt down your problem in drivers and who knows what, check your monitor out and see if changing some settings won't do the trick. My 650Ti and the ZR2440 from HP are fine, but the Z27n is a different animal.

Seems like you should do some diagnosis like connecting the display to a different computer to see if the problems moves with the display. Also, don't overlook trying a different display cable. The only time I've seen artifacting is when OSX didn't load a graphics driver. You can see this Apple Logo > About this Mac.

Reasons for loading the display driver varies from using the SMBios profile, maybe even OSX using display port like and HDMI port.

On the Hackintosh it was connected from 650Ti DVI out to HDMI cable. Artifacts.
Connected to Dell Lattitude. DP cable both ends. Artifacts. Same type.
Conclusion... monitor issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back