Contribute
Register

Disk Damaged, will not mount, need help accessing for backing up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I had a working install and I believe it got messed up from my windows 7 install on my other drive... I REALLY need to get my files off this drive... There's pictures of my baby, and her mom while she was pregnant... Anything else i could care less about, and this is all recent so I have no backup yet, they were just uploaded to the computer and removed from the original source and this happened shortly after.. :(

I have tried accessing the drive by booting from the SL install disk and using the disk utility. The disk does not mount. Clicking repair results in error and says to backup as much as I can and reformat...

Unfortunately I cannot access anything to back it up... The disk says its formatted in MS-DOS (FAT16) (which is why i believe it got messed up while working with windows.)

I have tried accessing in Windows with no success, using MacDrive in windows with no success... I went to the store and bought a SATA to USB connector and hooked it up to my macbook, and can't access it either...

I just don't know what else to try... I know the information is still on the drive, just not how to access it...

PLEASE HELP!! :(

I tried this guide to try and fix the boot record but i think the problem is more complex than that...

http://www.mymac4music.com/2011/10/boot0-error/

I still get the boot0: error even though it executed fine in terminal. I believe the problem is with the format somehow being changed to MS-DOS FAT16. I don't know how that happened.

I can view the files in a data recovery program, but I would much rather repair the boot record and be able to get into the drive to simply copy files and folders, rather then scrape them with this program... not sure how good it really is, its taking hours just to search and find all the files..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back