Contribute
Register

DISK BOOT FAILURE error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I created a Lion bootable USB using Unibeast, and it told me it succeeded. It took up about 4.1 or 4.2gb, and it seems as though it should work. However when I try to boot from the USB per the instructions on the "UniBeast: Install Mac OS X Lion..." page, I get this error message...

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I am off to search the forum archives, but was hoping someone had an idea of the cause of the problem.

Thanks in advance.

TB

EDIT: I should say that I've been trying different USB ports without luck. I found this suggestion in one of the threads here, but am still searching for other possible solutions.

Success (possibly)...

I reset the CMOS by pulling the battery, and then select "Default" when given the option to choose a version on first boot afterwards. Then i put the USB installer into the USB3 port, like was mentioned in another forum thread I found. I had to just keep following links from thread to thread to thread to... But it then gave me the boot screen and I selected the USB option, and the installer appears to be running.

We'll see!

TB

Well I haven't been able to get past the gray Mac screen with the Apple symbol, and the little spinning wheel beneath it. After a couple minutes, a little white box appears over the stem of the apple, and it has the outline of a circle with a diagonal line through it. But the spinning wheel keeps-on-a-spinning! I found a nice guide to setting BIOS options for optimizing the Hackintosh build, at this link:

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/optimal-bios-configuration.html

So I made those changes, but I am still essentially stuck with the little spinning wheel. Maybe I'll just let it run for 30 minutes or so, in case the wheel actually has some significance. After about 10 minutes or so, there really didn't seem to be any HDD activity, so I thought it was simply hung up. That when I found the BIOS tweaking guide, and now I'll try the install again.

But I wonder how you guys are getting a command line option at the boot menu? I don't seem to have the option to actually enter anything at a CLI--so I cannot input this for example...

"Unsupported graphics - type GraphicsEnabler=No"

There seem to be menu choices for a few of the other options, but unless I have overlooked the obvious (entirely possible), then I don't see how to access a CLI to enter a command.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this gray screen and spinning icon? I have not yet made it to the language choice for the installation, so I think I am again stuck...

TB

I've reviewed the first 8-10 pages of this section of the forum, and I think the problem might just be that UniBeast didn't quite work as expected. I do have 16gb of RAM installed in the machine, so I might want to remove all but one stick if I cannot get it to work tomorrow. However I think I need to go back, reformat the USB in Disk Utility, and then run UniBeast again. I'll also copy my DSDT file and MultiBeast onto the USB stick as well.

It's odd that, while several people have pointed out that you want to boot to the USB Lion drive while it's in a USB 2.0 port, mine doesn't work at all if I try that. I simply get that dreaded boot disk error message, and it's a no-go. But if I insert it into a USB 3 slot, I at least get to the boot menu.

But for the life of me I still cannot figure out how to set the boot flags--I am simply never given a command line to use for this purpose. There are some menu choices for a couple of the flag options (e.g.; Boot, Boot verbose), but no command prompt options. And the boot verbose option hangs at the "Still waiting for root device" message. This is another reason I think there might just be a problem with my UniBeast Lion install.

I presume that the installer considers the USB flash drive to be the root drive?

TB

BlueHornet -

When you reach the screen where you'd normally hit enter to install, just begin typing - no prompt appears until you do.

In the same boat as you.
Running all recommended hardware, i7 2600/k
z68x-ud3h-b3, 16gb ram

Disk Boot Failure - if I boot from USB 2.0
Will try to install if I boot from USB 3.0, but hangs at can't load kext com.apple.driver.audioauuc (if I don't enter vebose mode, it brings up the apple, spinner, and then the circle with the slash/line through it.)

I've disabled USB 3.0 in bios, now going to unplug the usb 3.0 connector from the MB.

Bios settings have been followed as suggested by everyone (64 bit, AHCI)
I've switched my SSD from 6g/s to the 3 g/s with no results, tried running the GraphicsEnabler=0 deal to no avail as well.

Using a PNY 8Gb stick which some said was no good (App store d/l) - going to try another stick as well.. phew.

Thanks.

Still no luck. Running a XFX Radeon 6870 1gb.

Just not sure if I should be trying to diagnose why the usb drive won't boot up when plugged into a 2.0 slot, or the error message I get in verbose mode when trying to start the installation from the 3.0 slot.

Okay! Installing. Here's what the problem was:

My case (NXZT H2 Silent) has a bay on the top for a hot swappable drive. I don't think the SATA power cable is hooked up correctly. Anyway, I just plugged the SSD in through a 3 g/s sata and a direct power and installation started via the usb 2.0 drive after failing once.

BlueHornet if you're still struggling - I would check and double check any SATA connections to your hard drive, though I know how many variables are involved in something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back