Contribute
Register

Discussion: What does Apple's new APFS mean for hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-braveknight

Motherboard
Lenovo Legion Y520 (Clover)
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630 (1920x1080) + Nvidia GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I've been wondering what APFS filesystem actually is, and whether or not it our SSDs/HDDs will be supported... What about Clover? Will it ever support Apple's new filesystem (APFS)...? is it even a possibility? And what does that mean for the hackintosh community? Will we actually be able to use the new filesystem?

Last edited:
Unless Apple decides to apply restrictions on hard drive models, current hdds/ssds should work fine. As for Clover, I have no idea if it will support booting from APFS.

I've been wondering what APFS filesystem actually is, and whether or not i[f] our SSDs/HDDs will be supported...

Encryption is clearly a core feature of APFS.

APFS brings a much-desired file system feature: snapshots. A snapshot lets you freeze the state of a file system at a particular moment and continue to use and modify that file system while preserving the old data. It does so in a space-efficient fashion where, effectively, changes are tracked and only new data takes up additional space.

APFS claims to be optimized for flash. Flash memory (NAND) is the stuff in your speedy SSD. SSDs mimic the block interface of conventional hard drives, but the underlying technology is completely different. In particular, while magnetic media can read or write sectors arbitrarily, flash erases large chunks (blocks) and reads and writes smaller chunks (pages). The management is done by what's called the flash translation layer (FTL), software that makes blocks and pages appear more like a hard drive.

APFS includes TRIM support. TRIM is a command in the ATA protocol that allows a file system to indicate to an SSD (specifically to its FTL) that some space has been freed. SSDs require significant free space and perform better when there's more of it;

The problem with TRIM is that it's only useful when there's free space: it's something of a benchmark special. Once your disk is mostly full (as mine are in my laptop and phone basically at all times) TRIM doesn't do anything for you.

APFS also focuses on latency: Apple's number one goal is to avoid the beach ball of doom. APFS addresses this with I/O QoS (quality of service) to prioritize accesses that are immediately visible to the user over background activity that doesn't have the same time-constraints.

It's a shame that APFS lacks checksums for user data and doesn't provide for data redundancy. Data integrity should be job one for a file system, and I believe that's true for a watch or phone as much as it is for a server.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/0...-good-and-bad-in-apples-new-apfs-file-system/

What does it mean for Hackintosh? It'll probably make it easier since right now one has to choose the right type of SSD - meaning that some SSDs support and implement Encryption and some don't; some SSDs support Deep Sleep, DevSlp, and some don't; some employ End To End Data Protection, ETEDP, and some' don't; some employ internal TRIM instead of relying on the OS; some employ internal ECCs, some don't (or at least only support rudimentary ECC instead of a more robust controller complex ECC), some work correctly with NCQ, some don't; some provide data integrity power failure protection, some don't; some have better performance consistency over time, some don't; etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back