CPU
i5-2500
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm using Lilu kext + WhateverGreen and I'm trying to disable Metal using ngfxgl=1 flag but it doesn't seem to work all the time, only once in every 10 boots or so the Metal entry under graphics disappears but most of the time it shows Metal: Supported so I guess that means that Metal is enabled? The reason I want to disable metal is that the performance significantly drops when it seems to be activated, the system feels sluggish and heavy.

Why not get a graphics card that supports Metal 2 and then use it instead of disabling Metal 2 ?

I'm assuming you have updated to Mojave.

Why not get a graphics card that supports Metal 2 and then use it instead of disabling Metal 2 ?

I'm assuming you have updated to Mojave.

Yes Sir, I updated to Mojave. Kinda strange too because some people were saying GT 610 is a Fermi card and doesn't support Metal, however, I was able to enable Dark Mode + Full acceleration without additional kexts or tweaks. Only one catch, Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A293u) is the only version I know where my card works OOB, I tried the official final release and the card doesn't seem to be natively supported beyond the first Beta.

About buying a new Graphics Card. I'm waiting for Web Drivers to see how things turn out from there and then decide which brand to pick next and under which budget i will shop.

screenshot_03.png

Last edited:
Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A293u) is the only version I know where my card works OOB, I tried the official final release and the card doesn't seem to be natively supported beyond the first Beta.

@Nyctalopia,

If it only worked with Beta 1 of Mojave then it sounds like Apple dropped support for it as it was not stable and prone to crashing ... so as @trs96 suggested maybe it's time to think about a new GPU, if you want to stick with Mojave then a AMD GPU would be a better choice over Nvidia as there is still no word on when (or if) the updated Nvidia Web Drivers will be released.

Cheers
Jay

@Nyctalopia,

If it only worked with Beta 1 of Mojave then it sounds like Apple dropped support for it as it was not stable and prone to crashing ... so as @trs96 suggested maybe it's time to think about a new GPU, if you want to stick with Mojave then a AMD GPU would be a better choice over Nvidia as there is still no word on when (or if) the updated Nvidia Web Drivers will be released.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, Jay.

In light of this, I have one more slightly unrelated question but let's say I stick to this beta build until I'm willing to purchase a new Graphics Card, is there any chance this public beta of Mojave will expire at some point in the future and lock me out of my installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back