Graphics
GTX 660 Ti x2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a bunch of NTFS externals that really slow down startup (I think, at least) I see the /dev/disk[0-9]s[0-9] + disk label with mount, and I've tried adding these to /etc/fstab:

Code:
LABEL=<disk label> none ntfs ro,noauto 0 0

As well as by UUID. Doesn't do anything, everything is auto-mounted at boot. JFYI I'm using Tuxera NTFS licensed. Hackintosh OSX ML 10.8.2, updated to latest.

Any ideas?

I'm on the same boat, doing some tests today

After rigorous searching, and trial and error, I think I have it figured out... At least for my machine anyway. This was my guide, but here is my detailed play by play:

1. Turn off any third party NTFS read/write plugin you have installed on OSX. (Paragon, NTFS-3G, Tuxera, etc.) This will have to be used on demand only, if you leave it on (at least for Paragon) the drive will still mount.

2. Unmount the partition that you wish to not automount, and remember it's name. (My partition's name is Windows Boot, you can rename it in Windows Disk Management. I named mine this because this is the partition you boot from in the bootloader to access Windows)

3. Open Terminal

4. Execute the command: sudo nano /etc/fstab - This will open up a little interface within Terminal where you will create your fstab file. It will ask you to enter your user password... do it.

5. Now, we create the fstab command. The guide I used and almost every other thread I read said to use the UUID, but no matter what I did, partition mounted/unmounted and NTFS plugin on/off, it would never give me a UUID in Terminal. So we're going to use the name of the partition, hopefully you remembered it. In this example, we'll use my partition name.

Type in the following code: LABEL=Windows\040Boot none ntfs rw,noauto

The \040 (zeros) represents any space you have in your partition name. Of course, replace Windows\040Boot with your partition name. So if your partition name is simply Windows, you don't need \040.

The none is the mount point.

The ntfs is the disk format type, so if you need this for another partition/drive, be sure to enter the correct format.

The rw,noauto are the options, rw means the drive is read/write supported, and noauto means don't automount. You can also use ro if the drive is read only.

6. After you type your code, press CTRL+X, it will ask you to save so hit the Y key. Then press enter, and the Terminal command line will return.

7. Close Terminal.

8. Restart your machine. When the OSX desktop loads, your desktop and finder will be free of that partition.

9. Open Disk Utility. Look at the sidebar. Your system reserve partition should be grayed out. If you ever do want to mount it for whatever reason you can do so here, just remember to unmount it when you're done so it will continue to not auto-mount.

You're all done! Hopefully this worked out for you. Remember you can do this with any other drive as well, just follow the same steps and add another line to your fstab code. If you want to undo this, just go into your /etc folder in finder and move/delete the fstab file. Enjoy!

Was having the same issue and solved it with the above method except i used the UUID.

To get the UUID open disk utility and select the partition then click the info button at the top. UUID is listed as universal unique identifier. In the end my /etc/fstab looked like this:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Courier New]UUID=12345678-1ABC-1CDE-1FGH-123456789012 none ntfs rw,noauto[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm not sure which method is better but hopefully this will help someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back