Contribute
Register

Digital Audio - Can i enable onboard SPDIF out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock H97M-itx/ac
CPU
i7 4770k
Graphics
HD4600 primary and Asus GTX 970 mini 4GB (removed due to update 11.0.1)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have just built a new machine based on a board which does not have an Optical Digital Audio out. I need the Optical out as my Cinema system to which my machine connects uses Optical cables.

I have bought and installed the optional Gigabyte spdif cable and back panel adapter. This is designed for connection to the spdif out connector on the board(2pins). The ground and signal are connected to the two pin spdif out connector on the board.

It works perfectly as an Optical Out in Win 8 after selecting the internal spdif connection as the default.

I now need to do the same on my OSX86 build (Mavericks 10.9.2, MB6.1), i have follow this threads (Mavericks:Audio - Realter ALC AppleHDA [Guide]) to enable onboard ALC892 chipset sound. And the layout id is 1. And i also create the Aggregate Device to output 5.1 or 7.1 surround. I have test it with VLC or Audirvana, There are no sound signal come out.

Does anyone know how I can configure it to work? Is Mavericks support SPDIF out and passthrough SPDIF to AV AMP ? thanks

thanks toledo, the optical out is work for me right now. one more question, is it can passthrough DD/DTS surround to AV AMP ? i play movie with VLC/XBMC only have sound but no DTS surround signal. In the Customization document, No. 8. SPDIF OpticalOut/Encoded Digital Audio - Not supported in 10.9, That mean we can't not get DTS/DD this surround sound in 10.9 ? Thanks

thanks toledo, the optical out is work for me right now. one more question, is it can passthrough DD/DTS surround to AV AMP ?
VLC does not support DTS. Encoded Digital Audio patching does not work in 10.8 or 10.9. Only XMBC and Plex support DD/DTS 5.1. Use either for surround sound in Mavericks

noted and thanks toleda ~~~

First of all, very big thanks Toleda for your great job, and for the solution!!! I had the same problem looking for a way to enable internal spdif audio output of my Mobo : GA-Z87X-D3H equiped with ALC892.

As I'm not very familiar with tools, OS X file system, kext, etc... it took me a while to understand tutorial but I finally managed to create a modified AppleHDA.kext.

Here is a link to my modified kext http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/1893897/file.html. Hope this can help some other people. (FYI, I'm running on Mavericks 10.9.2).

It would be nice if both digital outputs could be active at the same time, or if we could have a dedicated output spdif entry in the sound configuration panel... Is it possible? Is it planned for futur HDA Enabler releases?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.SPDIF.Out.Instead.Of.Optical.Out.zip
    845.2 KB · Views: 181
It would be nice if both digital outputs could be active at the same time, or if we could have a dedicated output spdif entry in the sound configuration panel... Is it possible? Is it planned for futur HDA Enabler releases?
AppleHDA.kext supports a maximum of 4 audio output devices. The customization guide provides instructions for creating user specific audio solution. To add the second digital output, determine which existing audio device to eliminate. If you decide the 1st Line Out (Orange) is not needed, use layout-id 3 and add the 2nd digital out to the required ALC892/layout-id: 3 files.

Hi Toleda,

Recently, i have upgrade my machine to 10.11. And use clover as bootloader. My question : is it possible still to use "Substitute SPDIF-2 Wire Output"method to enable SPDIF out on 10.11 ? Or we use do it on Clover config.plist ? Please advise. Thanks

well noted, According to your customize guide, i updated the AppleHDA.kext and RealtekALC.kext accordingly.
When i replace the original kext, all audio device will disappear. my motherboard is GA-H81N with ALC887 chipset. i attached the file for your reference. can you help to check it any problem ? Thanks

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back