Contribute
Register

Did the new Mac Minis make Hackintosh obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370n Wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
A few years back I built a computer for the sole reason of installing Mac OS on it. Didn't have time to really try it until this week. I now have a (somewhat) well running High Sierra computer. The cost to build was about $2000.

Now, you could buy a brand new Mac mini for only $1800, with i7 processor, 16gb RAM and a 256gb SSD. Sure, it's not quite as strong as what I currently have (i7 8700k, 32gb RAM, 256gb SSD + 4tb HDD, GTX 1050), but it's not too far off. I'd get a nicer looking machine and a fully working computer with no audio issues, sleep issues, USB issues etc. What reason is there now to build a Hackintosh? Is it to replace the future Mac Pro?

Well, some have more time and inclination to work with their systems than money. You can build a good PC with that spec under $700, with no cheap components (just looking for deals - didn't include keyboard, mouse or monitor).

Also, while that system will no doubt do BootCamp, if your windows boot is for games, then it won't do much.

I just stopped at the Bestbuy couple days ago, and while i was there I checked out those shiny new imac they have at Apple booth, and I was surprise that those new imac systems are slower than my 8yrs old system. And how's that possible for my old system are more snappier and faster than the current new imac. It was because i was able to upgrade pc components to newer one and give my system more mileage as oppose to buy a mac and stuck with whatever they have in there, and it's not much in there anyway.

Not obsolete at all for me.

As a developer, there's no better OS than macOS for programming thanks to it's UNIX-like architecture. And having the power of a NVM Flash disk, OC'ed CPU and powerful video card is something I'll always need.

Unless I'm filthy rich and could just afford to buy a new top of the line Mac Pro every 2 years, I'll be sticking with this community for awhile.

If you don't need a powerful Graphics card, Mac mini is a decent option. For the same money, you can build a beast Hackintosh.

If you don't need a powerful Graphics card, Mac mini is a decent option. For the same money, you can build a beast Hackintosh.

You can still have a powerful Graphics card via TB3 & EGPU albeit its not being utilized at 100% but its a close 70%. I was still able to get 60 FPS at @4k on max settings.

I just stopped at the Bestbuy couple days ago, and while i was there I checked out those shiny new imac they have at Apple booth, and I was surprise that those new imac systems are slower than my 8yrs old system. And how's that possible for my old system are more snappier and faster than the current new imac. It was because i was able to upgrade pc components to newer one and give my system more mileage as oppose to buy a mac and stuck with whatever they have in there, and it's not much in there anyway.

Unless you were looking at the dual core version without GPU that runs 1k, even the 21" with a 555x and I3 8100 without overclock should perform better then your 3770k with RX580 because of the 3rd Gen CPU/DDR3 bottleneck. But the OP is asking about a Mac mini and I got very similar results from my Hack and my Mac mini with EGPU for all my use.

Last edited:
A few years back I built a computer for the sole reason of installing Mac OS on it. Didn't have time to really try it until this week. I now have a (somewhat) well running High Sierra computer. The cost to build was about $2000.

Now, you could buy a brand new Mac mini for only $1800, with i7 processor, 16gb RAM and a 256gb SSD. Sure, it's not quite as strong as what I currently have (i7 8700k, 32gb RAM, 256gb SSD + 4tb HDD, GTX 1050), but it's not too far off. I'd get a nicer looking machine and a fully working computer with no audio issues, sleep issues, USB issues etc. What reason is there now to build a Hackintosh? Is it to replace the future Mac Pro?
That much money for those specs is offensive and completely ridiculous

To me, the point of a Hackintosh is that you're free to build with whatever hardware you want. :) Those Mac Minis are nice, but they're just one specific type of build. Whether they exist or not is beside the point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back