Contribute
Register

did i loose by "overclock" by upgrading to Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lion 10.7.5
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
hey guys, i recently upgraded to mountain lion from lion and i noticed my overclock speed (4.2ghz on a core i7 sandybridge 3.5 processor) does not show in the 'about my mac' system profiler. and my geekbench score is alittle lower then what it was while running lion. i made sure to of checked the sandybridge overclock setting for core i5/i7 in multibeast 5.2.1, and even re ran the installation to double check. my system is still showing 3.5 and although thru the bios / booting into windows my system is 4.2ghz.

i have installed the chameleon patch for imessage to work, i am not sure if this would of effect the processor speed, but i never realized i've been on 3.5ghz for this long.
if you have any ideas or suggestions i would love to hear them.

thanks

hey guys, i recently upgraded to mountain lion from lion and i noticed my overclock speed (4.2ghz on a core i7 sandybridge 3.5 processor) does not show in the 'about my mac' system profiler. and my geekbench score is alittle lower then what it was while running lion. i made sure to of checked the sandybridge overclock setting for core i5/i7 in multibeast 5.2.1, and even re ran the installation to double check. my system is still showing 3.5 and although thru the bios / booting into windows my system is 4.2ghz.

i have installed the chameleon patch for imessage to work, i am not sure if this would of effect the processor speed, but i never realized i've been on 3.5ghz for this long.
if you have any ideas or suggestions i would love to hear them.

thanks

'About this Mac' is cosmetic. If you really want to see if your machine is still over clocking, you need to install the HW Monitor plugin for FakeSMC from MultiBeast (and FakeSMC.kext, if you don't already have it). HW Monitor will tell you at what speed your system is actually running. You can find it under 'Drivers & Bootloaders > Miscellaneous > FakeSMC" and "... > FakeSMC Plugins > HW Monitor Application".

-bth

thanks for your respons bthall, i just installed the fakescm and the plugins and when i restarted, i get the mac osx loading screen and it stays "loading".
i didnt do a backup because i was installing a multibeast plugin. is there any way to recover from this?

thanks for your respons bthall, i just installed the fakescm and the plugins and when i restarted, i get the mac osx loading screen and it stays "loading".
i didnt do a backup because i was installing a multibeast plugin. is there any way to recover from this?

i booted into a lion partition and reinstalled fakesmc/plugins and it worked. not sure what happaned.

anyways it shows cpu package at 4.2ghz and the cpu package multiplier at 42x
so i think we are all good.

but on a side note, it shows "northbridge" in red at 262 farenhieght.
what is northbridge and how do i cool that down? everything else is in black and good i think..

i booted into a lion partition and reinstalled fakesmc/plugins and it worked. not sure what happaned.

anyways it shows cpu package at 4.2ghz and the cpu package multiplier at 42x
so i think we are all good.

what is northbridge and how do i cool that down? everything else is in black and good i think..

I think the better way to overclock for mac, is overclocking the turboboost. Also are you overclocking on the stock cooler?

The northbridge was a chip that handled data comms between the CPU and motherboard. Starting with Sandy Bridge processors (such as yours) the northbridge function was integrated into the CPU itself. It could just be an erroneous reading since there is no northbridge chip in your system. If the rest of your system temperatures look good, then I don't think I'd worry about it.

-bth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back