Contribute
Register

Did Carpet Ruin My Hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: BOTH PSUs work! The paper clip was plastic and metal but I cut it down to the metal and now they both work. Testing this out in my case again! Wish me luck!

I'm assuming my motherboard is dead. I'm still under warranty with Gigabyte but I'm hopin they'll replace this if it can't be fixed. I don't think it's my CPU

Here's hoping, the sooner it is sent off, then sooner it will return.

Adrian B

So my warranty expired 6/20. If I upgrade I need at least 2 PCIX slots for my HD cards and 1-2 PCIe slots. Prefer an 1156 board so I won't have to replace RAM, CPU, etc.

So my warranty expired 6/20. If I upgrade I need at least 2 PCIX slots for my HD cards and 1-2 PCIe slots. Prefer an 1156 board so I won't have to replace RAM, CPU, etc.

Sorry to hear that the warranty has only just expired. I don't suppose the same board is still available in your country. That would be the easiest solution unless you wanted to consider a Haswell build. The memory might work, although a new CPU and motherboard would be needed. If you considered Ivy Bridge there is still plenty of choice of motherboards available. Either of these options would require you to use Mountain Lion (Haswell should be supported in a few weeks 10.8.5 release)

You need to see what is available to weigh your options up.

Adrian B

Sorry to hear that the warranty has only just expired. I don't suppose the same board is still available in your country. That would be the easiest solution unless you wanted to consider a Haswell build. The memory might work, although a new CPU and motherboard would be needed. If you considered Ivy Bridge there is still plenty of choice of motherboards available. Either of these options would require you to use Mountain Lion (Haswell should be supported in a few weeks 10.8.5 release)

You need to see what is available to weigh your options up.

Adrian B

I'm sticking with 10.6.8 as its the most stable OSX for my situation and IMO overall. The software I run aren't all supported by the newest OSX. That's why it's a bit complicated on my end. Now I'll have to upgrade my Mobo but I'm looking for PCI-X slots for my Pro Tools HD system. Can't be without work too long. I'll do a search I guess and figure this all out. Thanks Adrian

I'm sticking with 10.6.8 as its the most stable OSX for my situation and IMO overall. The software I run aren't all supported by the newest OSX. That's why it's a bit complicated on my end. Now I'll have to upgrade my Mobo but I'm looking for PCI-X slots for my Pro Tools HD system. Can't be without work too long. I'll do a search I guess and figure this all out. Thanks Adrian

I did wonder if you were using something like Pro Tools as I had noticed that you were listing 10.6 as you OS. I think that people are using it with Lion/Mountain Lion successfully these days - you would find more on that in the music section though.

I am in Europe, Scotland to be exact and I am aware that the older boards are getting thin on the ground. There seems to be more of the older stuff available in the States. I hope that you have some good luck getting a suitable board and installation goes smoothly. Let me know how you get on :thumbup:

Adrian B

I did wonder if you were using something like Pro Tools as I had noticed that you were listing 10.6 as you OS. I think that people are using it with Lion/Mountain Lion successfully these days - you would find more on that in the music section though.

I am in Europe, Scotland to be exact and I am aware that the older boards are getting thin on the ground. There seems to be more of the older stuff available in the States. I hope that you have some good luck getting a suitable board and installation goes smoothly. Let me know how you get on :thumbup:

Adrian B

I still prefer 10.6.8. No issues period and a lot of guys still use 10.6 over 10.7

Anyone use this? Or since its not Gigabyte or Asus is it a bad idea?

Foxconn P55A LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

I still prefer 10.6.8. No issues period and a lot of guys still use 10.6 over 10.7

Anyone use this? Or since its not Gigabyte or Asus is it a bad idea?

Foxconn P55A LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Here is a couple of links (that also contain other links) that will help you find what worked best at the time these boards were current : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hackintosh-mac-motherboards-chameleon-rc5,11577.html

You can select 1156 socket from the Gigabyte section to get a list of boards here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/11-dsdt-database.html

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back