CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Hackintosh is generally working fine, however it will randomly shutdown. So far this hasn't happened when I'm using it, so I don't think it's a particular app triggering it. Sometimes the system will be up for multiple days, sometimes 10 minutes. I can't quite tell if it's related to this being a Hackintosh or HW issue that would happen regardless of OS - the other weird thing is that sometimes when it happens, press the reset button and then BIOS won't even post, of if it does then it reboots as soon as it hits Clover, or as soon as the Darwin kernel tries to boot - I can't seem to find any particular pattern to all of this. I'm downloading Ubuntu image now to put on a USB and see if happens in Linux. Other than that I'm not sure how to go about debugging this issue - any pointers gratefully received.

im trying this in terminal
log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 24h
and then looking here
https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/shutdown-causes/

I'm having the same issue... in Mojave

my results show:

Filtering the log data using "composedMessage CONTAINS "Previous shutdown cause""
Skipping info and debug messages, pass --info and/or --debug to include.
Timestamp Thread Type Activity PID TTL
2018-10-09 10:27:18.015879+1100 0xc9 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2018-10-09 10:59:49.044073+1100 0xc9 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
2018-10-09 11:34:31.048197+1100 0xc9 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log - Default: 3, Info: 0, Debug: 0, Error: 0, Fault: 0
Activity - Create: 0, Transition: 0, Actions: 0

According to the list the system shutdown cause is 5 which indicates a normal shutdown...? Strange

Last edited:
I am also having random shutdowns/reboots, although setting it to sleep will cut the number of such way down. There is nothing in any log, will just shut down, or reboot. My shutdown log also indicates normal shutdowns. Still testing. Last happened when watching a Netflix video in Firefox.

Did you guys find any solution for this? Apparently it could be GFX related.

Today I was using Microsoft Teams, it all was good and randomly it just shutdown.
Executed this command, and I got "2020-09-11 10:04:49.353517+0100 0x4d7 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: 5" according to Mac pdf, it means correct shutdown. :/
Any idea where i can search more clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back