Core i36100
Graphics
HD530
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,
I've been running my hackintosh for quite a while now and it has never been "perfect" in the sense that there has always been a hiccup now and then.

But since upgrading to 10.12.5 random freezes have been occurring a lot more frequently.
I assume that there's no simple fix but I'd like to learn how to diagnose this on macOS.

I'll just explain briefly what happens:
After a while of running (sometimes just a few minutes, another time after a couple of hours) the system will just freeze and I have no other option than to hard shutdown the computer and restart.
When the freezing itself happens the first thing that is affected is the general window manager (or what it is called on macOS). Sometimes the mouse will still be movable for 5-10 seconds as well as any sound (from iTunes or youtube e.g.) will still be playing for a little while. Then it just stops all together. On other occasions everything just stops working alltogether.
The image on the screen though will usually just stay and the system will not shut down by itself.

What I have tried so far is to enable the "debug=0x100" boot flag in clover but still no kernel panic information is being displayed when a freeze occurs.

I have tried looking at the "console.app" to find any information about why these freezes happen but I've been unable to find anything.

So all in all - if any of you people could help me identifying possible causes and showing me how to diagnose these things in my own, I'd be extreme grateful :)

----

ps.: I've attached my current config.plist, as well as installed kexts, and SSDTs

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    188.8 KB · Views: 58
I have EXACTLY the same thing as you! Literally everything you described as well as enabling the debug flag and looking at the console. No kernel panic and can't see anything in Console. Hope there'll be a fix.

I have EXACTLY the same thing as you! Literally everything you described as well as enabling the debug flag and looking at the console. No kernel panic and can't see anything in Console. Hope there'll be a fix.

Thank god! At least I am not the only one ;)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what the cause is, BUT what I've done is uninstall "StaticZ SoundControl 2" (a software that lets you control the volume of HDMI speakers and such via Software - something that macOS does not support natively).
Also I've added the ACPI patch "change GFX0 to iGPU". I originally did this to get proper CPU power management to work, but it also must've broken my HDMI sound output. Anyways what I noticed is that there are far fewer freezes now so I suppose it had something to do with sound / sound drivers / ...

Edit: I should mention that I think this software "Sound Control 2" installs an extra driver (or kext?!) - maybe that was messing with the OS

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what the cause is, BUT what I've done is uninstall "StaticZ SoundControl 2" (a software that lets you control the volume of HDMI speakers and such via Software - something that macOS does not support natively).
Also I've added the ACPI patch "change GFX0 to iGPU". I originally did this to get proper CPU power management to work, but it also must've broken my HDMI sound output. Anyways what I noticed is that there are far fewer freezes now so I suppose it had something to do with sound / sound drivers / ...

Edit: I should mention that I think this software "Sound Control 2" installs an extra driver (or kext?!) - maybe that was messing with the OS

Interesting. I don't have any software for sound. I added "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext" and "Lilu.kext" to my kexts folder. Will report back if I get less/no freezes.

Did your issue go away completely? I noticed less freezes but they're stil there.

I am also experiencing similar symptoms. Sometimes it just randomly begins withs Thunderbird not responding other times its opening new tabs/urls in any web browser (Chrome, Vivaldi, Safari, Firefox, Opera tested), Chrome reports "waiting for cache..." in the status bar and often tcp/ip in general becomes unstable where sometimes I can ping, sometimes I can't, sometimes it's just DNS that craps out...but all of this eventually leads to me being forced to hard reboot because the system overall eventually degrades and fast it does, within minutes.

Other times I've had no issue at all but decide to reboot or shut down and that locks up requiring a forced method.

I can't turn my monitor off or even boot with it off or I get no graphics (HDMI 2.0 or DP1.2). Screen saver if left too long won't exit and doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard input even though keyboard num/caps lock leds function and I can enable voice assist cmd + F5 so I know the system behind the scenes is still there. I do get 4k at 60hz which is a plus!

I'm 10.12.5 w/ GTX960 SMBIOS iMac14,2 and had one heck of a time getting the vid drivers to work. Also had issues w/ terrible audio but fixed it with Realtek ALC892 kext patches. I do not have Sound Control 2 installed nor using HDMI audio however I'm certain it works as it was defaulting to that before I applied the 892 fix for the built in chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back