Intel i7 4790K
Graphics
R9 M290X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking to build a stable dev/web/light video editing Catalina daily driver (so unfortunately no NVIDIA?) - trying to choose hardware that supports this while at the same time is decent for gaming AND will fit into an SFF enclosure (NCASE M1). It'd be great if someone could sanity check my list and let me know what you think. I'm all ears! Currently using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014).

- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Motherboard
- Intel i9-9900K CPU
- Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler w/ 2x Noctua fans (or should I water cool w/ an Eisbaer LT 240 AIO & GPU block?)
- Corsair SF600 power supply (Amazon renewed - ordered)
- MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8GB OC
- Samsung 860 EVO 500GB hdd
- 16GB Crucial Ballistix 2666 MHz DDR4 ram
- Alienware AW2521HF monitor

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm looking to build a stable dev/web/light video editing Catalina daily driver (so unfortunately no NVIDIA?) - trying to choose hardware that supports this while at the same time is decent for gaming AND will fit into an SFF enclosure (NCASE M1). It'd be great if someone could sanity check my list and let me know what you think. I'm all ears! Currently using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014).

- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Motherboard
- Intel i9-9900K CPU
- Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler w/ 2x Noctua fans (or should I water cool w/ an Eisbaer LT 240 AIO & GPU block?)
- Corsair SF600 power supply (Amazon renewed - ordered)
- MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8GB OC
- Samsung 860 EVO 500GB hdd
- 16GB Crucial Ballistix 2666 MHz DDR4 ram
- Alienware AW2521HF monitor

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it.

Yes, no more Nvidia for Mojave / Catalina (and most likely later) due to lack of Nvidia drivers.

If you are going to run Catalina you can choose the new RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT instead of the Vega 56. The new cards perform better while consume less power.

Last edited:
I would up the power supply wattage to give it more headroom and durability. 750 watt gold. That way if you upgrade to a big Navi later you will be ok. Navi 21 coming in October for 4K gaming. The 5700XT is ok for gaming but the monster is said to be on its way.

Yes, no more Nvidia for Mojave / Catalina (and most likely later) due to lack of Nvidia drivers.

If you are going to run Catalina you can choose the new RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT instead of the Vega 56. The new cards performs better while consume less power.
I would up the power supply wattage to give it more headroom and durability. 750 watt gold. That way if you upgrade to a big Navi later you will be ok. Navi 21 coming in October for 4K gaming. The 5700XT is ok for gaming but the monster is said to be on its way.

Bummer on NVIDIA. :( I was _just_ looking into 5700 XT cards, thanks! I think I might go with one of those, but I'm not sure if I need one of the boxy-looking reference ones if I decide to water cool or what.

Any thoughts on trying Catalina w/ OpenCore + a Ryzen mobo/CPU vs the Z390-I/Intel i9-9900K? From what I've gathered it's doable (but painful?) I heard the newer Ryzen CPUs are faster than Intel, but I dunno!

I've seen a couple of posts from Asus Z390-I Gaming users having trouble w/ the 5700 XT but I think they got them solved.

Oh and I also saw someone mention that the Samsung 860 EVO needs to have the firmware flashed before you can install macos on it, but you don't need to do that for the Samsung 970 PRO. Anyway not a huge deal I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back