Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm planning my 2nd Hackintosh, and have been beating my head on the wall :banghead: trying to figure out the difference between the 20 different Gigabyte Z68 motherboards.

This breakdown (http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/279/images/mb-z68-models.html) helped some, but still didn't really explain the differences b/w the seemingly random model #'s. For instance, what's the difference b/w an GA-Z68XP-UD4 vs. GA-Z68XP-UD3P vs. GA-Z68XP-UD3R.

So, I created a detailed breakdown of ALL the current Gigabyte Z68 motherboards.

I hope it can help others navigate the bizarre and confusing world of Gigabyte product numbers.

Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard Breakdown.xls

For what it's worth, I think I'm going with the GA-Z68XP-UD4.
  • Built in HDMI - should be helpful for troubleshooting video card, if / when necessary
    Ample (I hope!) PCIe slots, and a good variety of different speeds (x16, x8, x1)
    4x SATA 6Gb/s ports
    2x eSATA 6Gb/s ports
    Uses the Etron EJ168 USB 3.0 chip, thankfully avoiding the VLI VL810 hub issue
    3x 1394a Ports, although I'm probably going to use an add in FW 800 PCIe card

If anyone has any comments, or feedback on the GA-Z68XP-UD4, I'd love to hear it!

Attachments

• Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard Breakdown.xls
    38 KB · Views: 465
Fantastic work, thanks @draymis

this is really handy

Thanks!!

And see, I hadn't even gotten far enough to know that some of them had FW on the MOBO, I thought I had to use a board no matter what. So I've learned something!

draymis said:
I'm planning my 2nd Hackintosh, and have been beating my head on the wall :banghead: trying to figure out the difference between the 20 different Gigabyte Z68 motherboards.

This breakdown (http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/279/images/mb-z68-models.html) helped some, but still didn't really explain the differences b/w the seemingly random model #'s. For instance, what's the difference b/w an GA-Z68XP-UD4 vs. GA-Z68XP-UD3P vs. GA-Z68XP-UD3R.

So, I created a detailed breakdown of ALL the current Gigabyte Z68 motherboards.

I hope it can help others navigate the bizarre and confusing world of Gigabyte product numbers.

For what it's worth, I think I'm going with the GA-Z68XP-UD4.
  • Built in HDMI - should be helpful for troubleshooting video card, if / when necessary
    Ample (I hope!) PCIe slots, and a good variety of different speeds (x16, x8, x1)
    4x SATA 6Gb/s ports
    2x eSATA 6Gb/s ports
    Uses the Etron EJ168 USB 3.0 chip, thankfully avoiding the VLI VL810 hub issue
    3x 1394a Ports, although I'm probably going to use an add in FW 800 PCIe card

If anyone has any comments, or feedback on the GA-Z68XP-UD4, I'd love to hear it!

Good job. :clap: However, you said that the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R 1.3 is no longer available? I can still get one new if I want to, here in Hong Kong at least.

Motherboard availability will differ in different locations. I cannot get the GA-Z68XP-UD4, GA-Z68X-UD3H or the GA-Z68XP-UD3P, for example, as they are not sold here in Hong Kong. But they are obviously still available elsewhere.

My suggestion is that a list of the features of those motherboards which are "no longer available" will be best, as they can be available elsewhere.

Very nice break down. i like it :clap:

Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 6.52.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2011-11-17 at 6.52.58 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 6.52.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 6.52.38 AM.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 642
  • Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 6.52.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 6.52.58 AM.png
    117 KB · Views: 502
My suggestion is that a list of the features of those motherboards which are "no longer available" will be best, as they can be available elsewhere.

I guess you could say I created the spreadsheet from an American perspective, as I was getting irritated as hell that I could fall in love with a board on Gigabyte's website, only to find out it was either not available @ Newegg / Amazon, or had very limited availability - which I'm assuming means it's being EOL'd.

I'd hate to invest all the time necessary to pick a motherboard, only to find it was obsolete when I bought it, or couldn't be easily replaced if it went bad.

draymis said:

I have this mobo and recently did my first build. This mobo may be overkill for some, but I got a great deal on it with a processor purchase which made it about the same price as the lowest priced models on your really nice list. I also was of the mindset that I always want more options for upgrades, slots, I/O, etc. So the price/options of this mobo made it a 'no brainer'.

I'm using the Realtek network install from MultiBeast and I do get a hesitation sometimes when I boot and launch the browser. However, I do online games and other network stuff and I have had no problems whatsoever. I have a case with 2 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, Mic, Headphones and Firewire on the front panel and all are working. (My build desc. says I am having issues with Firewire, that's not the case, it is related to another 'issue' and I should update that post) I also am using the XMP profiles and running at a stable and cool 4.6 GHz. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back