Intel Core i9 9900K
Graphics
AMD Sapphire Radeon VII GPU & AMD Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+OC 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone,

I'm about to build my third hackintosh. This time the focus is on 4K video editing in DaVinci Resolve and also audio editing in Logic X. I want to base my build on the one in this video:

The parts are:

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K

GPU: AMD Sapphire Radeon VII GPU & AMD Saphire RX 580

RAM: HyperX Predator Black 64GB kit 3600Mhz DDR4 CL17 DIMM
(also considering keeping my current RAM situation - Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200Mhz C16)

Cooling: Alphacool Eisbaer 360 CPU - Black

PSU: Not sure??

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB & Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB & Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

The channel originally offered an EFI folder to help with the build, but now they don't. So I just want to ask you guys a few questions before I complete purchasing everything.

1) What power supply will I need to power 2 GPU's? Namely the Radeon VII and the RX580
2) Has anyone had issues with thunderbolt on this board?
3) The Alphacool 360 is difficult to get in Australia, any other great substitutes for this cooling system that you could recommend for this build
4) Any issues that anyone has had or can forsee with this build?

Although I've built 2 machines already, it's always a pain so I want to make sure I don't make some big purchase mistakes and that the build goes as smooth as possible. So any help you can think of or any suggestions at all would be much appreciated.

I hope you are all well at this challenging time and I appreciate all the support of this community.

Last edited:
Thunderbolt should work in this board.
Your go to resource for the proper implementation is this thread:

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you are looking at other 360mm AIO then checkout the NZXT Kraken X72 or the Corsair H150i PRO.

Concerning the PSU. Go with something like a 750Watt to be on the save side.

Swap that 250GB 850 EVO for a Samsung NVME 970 EVO. The nvme drives are soo much faster than the standard M2 SSDs. Use this drive for your applications and other as scratch/storage disks.

Your current RAM is more than enough for what you need. I don't see a need to buy 3600mhz ram in this case. You probably won't see a big performance improvement. If you really need 64GB, 3200Mhz will do just fine too and might be a bit cheaper.

I don't have any experience with the dual GPU set-up, but make sure it will work and that you can use in this configuration.

Thanks SebErr. Will definitely get the NVMe drive now. Good to know that I don't have to increase the RAM. I want to make sure my machine is balanced and not spend money where I don't need to.

I'm not sure whether to run 2 GPU's or not, was hoping that I will be able to see a benefit from splitting tasks between each GPU but wonder if that is overkill or actually not even going to be an improvement.

I ended up buying an Alphacool 360 on amazon yesterday, now I just wait since there will probably be a significant delay at the moment.

Thanks again!

Just another thing on this build, do you think a 750W PSU is going to be enough to power the Radeon VII AND the RX580? I'm thinking of having 4 drives as well, I already have them besides the 2 x NVme drives:

1. Mac OS SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVme
2. Media Drive 1 - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
3. Current Projects Drive - 2nd Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVme
4. Archive Drive - 750Gb 7200RPM HDD

So with those and the 2 GPU's, will 750W be enough?

Last edited:
Not 100% sure about the PSU, but go for at least for a 80+ Gold version. You can always calculate your power supply here.

But be careful, I read that the 970 EVO PLUS can cause issues. Check this thread for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back