Contribute
Register

Dell XPS M1530, Can't get past the swap CD. Can use help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
For anyone who cares to help on this. I've searched up and down, google and forums and on this forum, however, I don't understand why or how to get past Kernel panic everytime or what is causing it. After I swap out the boot CD (EFI, BOOT, Newacom, etc..., i've tried them all) and put the OS 10.6.3 DVD in, press f5 and then hit enter, the computer goes into this crash mode. I had the most success with Newacom as it looked like it was going to work but it then crashed again. I am a complete NOOB at this and cannot understand why this is happening. I appreciate anyone's suggestions or advice. Here are my specs:

2GHZ Core2 Duo, 3GIG RAM, ample 200GB HDD, WINDOWS 7 (do i need to format first?) and NVIDIA 8600 GTM 256MB.

Again, ANY suggestion is appreciated.

THank you.

Hi there,

I installed mine by putting Snow Leopard on a USB Drive, loads way faster !

On OSX (friends or any other hackintosh you have), restore SL.dmg to your usb drive.

After you're done with, plug it in your laptop and load the bood cd, Chameleon should finds it.

Good luck. :)

Dan, thanks for the suggestion. I was able to install it using the retail DVD 10.6.3 I picked up from bestbuy. For the boot cd I used Newacom's new release to do this. Most things seem to be working fine except my wireless and sound. Any idea what Ivan do about these to fix it? Thanks again.

For audio look for VoodooHDA and what is your wireless card ? If the brand is Intel, it won't work, you need a Dell Truemobile card the one with the Broadcom chip .. These one will work out of the box with osx and be recognizes as Airport. Take a look on eBay for them Like 1390 or 1505.. Or any USB wireless adapter will help too if you don't mind losing one USB.

Yes, my wireless card is an Intel one. I'll have to look for the ones you listed. I was able to get Dual Boot setup successfully earlier and right now I am going to try and get the audio to work. I'm connected to the net via my OS X right now, but using a physical connection to the internet. Thank you for your posts, you have really been a BIG help.

I will keep you posted as I work the sound.

If you want to know, I bought the 1390 which has wireless a b and g.. For something like 12$ from china lol.

But if you want to have N try the Dell Truemobile 1505.

What is the exact name of the pci card you bought? Also where can I find the voodoohd sound kext? I did a search but it seems a bit confusing. Lastly, I noticed you have an HP you use as MacAir, is everything working 100% with that?

Thanks

I think I went there.. http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/ and installed the package. Automatic install.

Broadcom BCM94311MCG/Dell 1390 Mini PCIe PCI WLAN Card

I think this would work ;
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BROADCOM-WIFI-MINI-P ... 1937wt_976

I also buy from that guy, cifbuy (a year ago though).

For the HP, it's still work in progress... I'll give you more updates when I'll have it back, my gf took it.. LOL

EDIT: I think you should look for another seller... better be american LOL, there's that huge sign in the description saying.. chine games something and there's 24-48 days shipping.. WTH!

Okay Dan, can't thank you enough. I got the sound to work, i'm really happy about that. I also purchased a Wireless PCI card (N) for about 10 bucks off of ebay. I think everything else is working, I haven't messed around too much yet, but will find out more as I play with this.

Thanks for all the help.

by the way the Canadians Rock. My first arrival into North America was over 20 years ago, but it was in Montreal and I naturally loved the hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back