Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
I've inherited an xps 8700 (i7 4790, GT 720, 8 gig ram....). I had a hack I did on an older Lenovo desktop, it worked but was a lot of work to get going and I got lazy and didn't do the DSDT. I pulled the Mojave SSD (Crucial mx500) I did for the Lenovo and installed in in the xps 8700. Wow! So many things work right oob.
- CPU, sleep, wake, shut down
- video card, though a humble gt 720, is Metal 1. I have a RX 580 I can drop in there (assuming the power supply can handle it).
- Network (Realtek RTL8111F-CG) but I think I installed the driver when it was in the Lenovo, the Dell wifi (1704) doesn't work, meh. I have a spare Edimax AC 1200 mu-mimo USB adapter.
- Sound is lit up but I'm not getting sound yet. I'll have to try all the ports.
- The built in card reader works! I've never had a Hackintosh mount the card reader.

I'm still ringing out the system but having the card reader and sleep work OOB is amazing to me. Now I need to find some more ram in my stash.

Originally I did a stock UniBeast/MultiBeast (Legacy boot, RealtekRTL 2.2.2, iMac 15,1 profile) install. That's iirc. :)
==============
Stock audio works with the upper headphone port and "headphone" option on Sys Pref. It turns out that one of the line outs work with the orange port on back. The upper mic input works as does the back (pink/red). You just have to push the jacks in pretty good.

Last edited:
Even if it somewhat works I would still do a clean install of Mojave for UEFI booting instead of legacy. No the RX 580 won't work as there is no PCIe 8 pin adapter to connect to the 580. You'd have to swap the PSU to use that. The 720 should work with Mojave without problems.

I've inherited an xps 8700 (i7 4790, GT 720, 8 gig ram....). I had a hack I did on an older Lenovo desktop, it worked but was a lot of work to get going and I got lazy and didn't do the DSDT. I pulled the Mojave SSD (Crucial mx500) I did for the Lenovo and installed in in the xps 8700. Wow! So many things work right oob.
- CPU, sleep, wake, shut down
- video card, though a humble gt 720, is Metal 1. I have a RX 580 I can drop in there (assuming the power supply can handle it).
- Network (Realtek RTL8111F-CG) but I think I installed the driver when it was in the Lenovo, the Dell wifi (1704) doesn't work, meh. I have a spare Edimax AC 1200 mu-mimo USB adapter.
- Sound is lit up but I'm not getting sound yet. I'll have to try all the ports.
- The built in card reader works! I've never had a Hackintosh mount the card reader.

I'm still ringing out the system but having the card reader and sleep work OOB is amazing to me. Now I need to find some more ram in my stash.

Originally I did a stock UniBeast/MultiBeast (Legacy boot, RealtekRTL 2.2.2, iMac 15,1 profile) install. That's iirc. :)
==============
Stock audio works with the upper headphone port and "headphone" option on Sys Pref. It turns out that one of the line outs work with the orange port on back. The upper mic input works as does the back (pink/red). You just have to push the jacks in pretty good.

The 8700 was a really easy build - Everything worked after updating the network kext.

Even if it somewhat works I would still do a clean install of Mojave for UEFI booting instead of legacy. No the RX 580 won't work as there is no PCIe 8 pin adapter to connect to the 580. You'd have to swap the PSU to use that. The 720 should work with Mojave without problems.
What advantage is there in UEFI booting? I've looked around and am surprised the 8700 works so well on a Multibeast Legacy install. I have a power supply I can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back