Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello!

I am trying to install SL on a Dell XPS 8000. I took out the extra RAM and the USB-3 PCI card, started up from the latest iBoot CD, but as soon as I try to boot from the retail Snow Leopard disk, it reports a kernel panic, the screen goes darker in four or five stages, and then the machine reboots.

Any suggestions? From other postings on this forum I got the impression that people got the XPS 8000 working fine as an iDell.

Thanks!

Ingwall said:
Hello!

I am trying to install SL on a Dell XPS 8000. I took out the extra RAM and the USB-3 PCI card, started up from the latest iBoot CD, but as soon as I try to boot from the retail Snow Leopard disk, it reports a kernel panic, the screen goes darker in four or five stages, and then the machine reboots.

Any suggestions? From other postings on this forum I got the impression that people got the XPS 8000 working fine as an iDell.

Thanks!

I would suggest getting ahold of a Lion Installer USB key, and using the UniBeast method to install Lion. To my knowledge, your vid card is not supported, and most likely is causing the KP's. SL is pretty much out dated now, and i have stopped supporting installs of SL on the Dell XPS 8300. I believe the USB key from the Apple Store is $50, or so. Cheaper than any version of Windows to date.

If you do choose to stick with SL, hers is my guide to get the 8300 to version 10.6.8 of Snow.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21361

Again, Vid cards are very finicky with SL, and using a 5xx series card will not work with SL, at least not to its fullest, if at all.

~~Grave

Gravewyrm said:
I would suggest getting ahold of a Lion Installer USB key, and using the UniBeast method to install Lion.
~~Grave

I was under an impression that you could not install Lion on a blank drive and had to have SL installed first. I do have the installer app for Lion downloaded.

Will the process that you outlined here work?

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=26261

Thanks for the response!

Ingwall said:
Gravewyrm said:
I would suggest getting ahold of a Lion Installer USB key, and using the UniBeast method to install Lion.
~~Grave

I was under an impression that you could not install Lion on a blank drive and had to have SL installed first. I do have the installer app for Lion downloaded.

Will the process that you outlined here work?

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=26261

Thanks for the response!

If you have the installer downloaded already, you can use either the uniBeast method to install Lion, or, the xMove method. i have used both, and they both work for the XPS 8300.

Using the xMove process, you need to use a 8GiB USB key, or larger, as the target for it to move the installer files to the USB Key, then you need to use MultiBeast to install the FakeSMC and bootloader files.

Using UniBeast eliminates the added installs of MultiBeast that the xMove process uses, as it does it for you.

Once you have a bootable USB stick with your Lion Installer on it, you can use my guide that you linked to get Lion installed onto your XPS.

~~Grave

Gravewyrm said:
Once you have a bootable USB stick with your Lion Installer on it, you can use my guide that you linked to get Lion installed onto your XPS.
~~Grave

Thank you sir, you are an officer and a gentleman. I just successfully installed Lion, following your process, via Unibeast.

Ingwall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back