xps 1647
CPU
i7
Graphics
Dell Studio XPS 1647
Intel i5 M 450 @2.4GHz
6GB RAM
Chipset Intel PCH PM55
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (1600x900x59Hertz)
ATI High Def Audio
WDC WD6400BEVT (640GB)AHCI mode
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard/ PS/2 Keyboard
Synaptics PS/2 Compatable TouchPad

Following these instructions:
UniBeast Method Overview
In order to start fresh, you'll need access to a functional computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later.
1. Purchase the OS X Mountain Lion Application from the Mac App Store
2. Prepare a UniBeast USB
3. Install OS X Mountain Lion
4. Install drivers and bootloader extra using MultiBeast

Stuck on #3:
Attempt#1: Black Screen
Attempt#2: GraphicsEnabler=0
-boots to language selection screen <keyboard and trackpad not working>
-inserted usb mouse<mouse now working>
-Navigated to disk utility <color wheel forever>

System Freezes

Where do i go from here? any suggestions?

Dell Studio XPS 1647
Intel i5 M 450 @2.4GHz
6GB RAM
Chipset Intel PCH PM55
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (1600x900x59Hertz)
ATI High Def Audio
WDC WD6400BEVT (640GB)AHCI mode
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard/ PS/2 Keyboard
Synaptics PS/2 Compatable TouchPad

Following these instructions:
UniBeast Method Overview
In order to start fresh, you'll need access to a functional computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later.
1. Purchase the OS X Mountain Lion Application from the Mac App Store
2. Prepare a UniBeast USB
3. Install OS X Mountain Lion
4. Install drivers and bootloader extra using MultiBeast

Stuck on #3:
Attempt#1: Black Screen
Attempt#2: GraphicsEnabler=0
-boots to language selection screen <keyboard and trackpad not working>
-inserted usb mouse<mouse now working>
-Navigated to disk utility <color wheel forever>

System Freezes

Where do i go from here? any suggestions?

Strange :/ I've successfully installed using this method

I also found using GraphicsEnabler=No at boot was necessary but after that everything ran fine. Perhaps try formating your flash drive and retry Unibeast 1.5, or better yet try on a different flash drive.

Good luck :)

28/07/11: Unibeast has been updated to v1.5.1, which may fix your problem

I too have a Dell XPS similar model with i7 720QM and ATI HD 4670.

I'm planning to buy Mountain Lion 10.8 for this configuration. Before I go with the purchase, I wanted to know if ATI 4670 supports QE/CI. The last time I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on my machine, I was left with a 1024x768 resolution minus the QE/CI.

Has any1 got QE/CI running successfully on this configuration????

Sorry for the additional post.

I too have a Dell XPS similar model with i7 720QM and ATI HD 4670.

I'm planning to buy Mountain Lion 10.8 for this configuration. Before I go with the purchase, I wanted to know if ATI 4670 supports QE/CI. The last time I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on my machine, I was left with a 1024x768 resolution minus the QE/CI.

Has any1 got QE/CI running successfully on this configuration????

I can confirm I have full 1920x1080 resolution and QE/CI with this card but some people have experienced problems. I have made a small guide with all the files you should need to get 10.8 working here : 10.8 kexts for Dell Studio XPS 16 - Downloads - OSx86.net

Best of luck

Attachments

• Geekbench.jpg
    Geekbench.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 967
  • Screen Shot .jpg
    Screen Shot .jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 914
@matty9119, Thnx for the guide...
I was able to successfully install ML on my machine, all thanks to your guide!!!
However, after the ML installation, when I boot again, the installer asks for net connectivity options and I see that WiFi is disabled.
Also the LVDS is working now, again thanks to your kexts. Will post a snap soon.
Camera, keyboard+mouse and trackpad are working.....
The only things non-functional right now are wifi and audio (I haven't checked much regarding HDMI etc). I can see from your snaps that you have a working wifi and audio. Could you help me on that as to how you got it working??

Thanks again..

@matty9119, Thnx for the guide...
I was able to successfully install ML on my machine, all thanks to your guide!!!
However, after the ML installation, when I boot again, the installer asks for net connectivity options and I see that WiFi is disabled.
Also the LVDS is working now, again thanks to your kexts. Will post a snap soon.
Camera, keyboard+mouse and trackpad are working.....
The only things non-functional right now are wifi and audio (I haven't checked much regarding HDMI etc). I can see from your snaps that you have a working wifi and audio. Could you help me on that as to how you got it working??

Thanks again..

Glad it worked for you :)
Sorry, I forgot to mention the guide doesn't include any wifi kexts as there are several different cards used.
If you use the Dell Wireless WLAN 1397 you can give this a try: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=972&page=6

Personally I upgraded my card to an Atheros 9280 (putting it in the empty wwan port rather than the wlan port), which works out the box:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Ath...ccessories&hash=item27c682ca59#ht_3327wt_1168
The Dell Wireless WLAN 1505 is another option that should work OTB :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Air...5888&pid=100016&prg=1006&rk=2&#ht_1415wt_1168

As for audio, (Updated: Remove VoodooHDA, copy AppleHDA to S/L/E, repair permissions and update your DSDT) See more here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2982.
You might need to go into System Prefrences -> Sound -> Output and select "Speaker (Analog)". For internal mic under input select "Microphone (Digital)"

VoodooHDA-v2.7.4.pkg did work for me, although I had to re-install everything again as I had a kernel panic when I installed it the first time.

I'm facing a weird problem in a way that, ML will only boot if I connect my charger cable. If I switch the power adapter off, my display goes blank at the login screen. Even if I have logged in, the moment I switch my charger off, the display goes blank. I tought it must be the problem with my battery, but my system is a dual boot (ML+Win 7) and battery is working fine on Windows. I even tried "-v" at boot with my power adapter turned off, still it doesn't boot. I can't figure out whats wrong..

As for the wifi part, :( Mine is a Dell Wireless WLAN 1501 Half Mini-Card (4313bgn). Almost everyone have given up on this card as it seems this isn't supported by Apple for being a Half Mini.... Also, eBay here doesn't have the same adapter models you listed. So i'm thinking of using an external wifi adapter till I get the ones you have used..

The sound is working now but I will replace it with the AppleHDA update you provided and try again...
Also, do I need to use MultiBeast again inorder to update my DSDT???

Thanks, for the update.

VoodooHDA-v2.7.4.pkg did work for me, although I had to re-install everything again as I had a kernel panic when I installed it the first time.

I'm facing a weird problem in a way that, ML will only boot if I connect my charger cable. If I switch the power adapter off, my display goes blank at the login screen. Even if I have logged in, the moment I switch my charger off, the display goes blank. I tought it must be the problem with my battery, but my system is a dual boot (ML+Win 7) and battery is working fine on Windows. I even tried "-v" at boot with my power adapter turned off, still it doesn't boot. I can't figure out whats wrong..

As for the wifi part, :( Mine is a Dell Wireless WLAN 1501 Half Mini-Card (4313bgn). Almost everyone have given up on this card as it seems this isn't supported by Apple for being a Half Mini.... Also, eBay here doesn't have the same adapter models you listed. So i'm thinking of using an external wifi adapter till I get the ones you have used..

The sound is working now but I will replace it with the AppleHDA update you provided and try again...
Also, do I need to use MultiBeast again inorder to update my DSDT???

Thanks, for the update.

That is a very strange problem, i'm not sure what to suggest. Does the screen go completely black or can you still see something? Could be the brightness is turned all the way down. No you don't need to use Multibeast again, just copy the dsdt over the existing one in the extra folder

If I don't use a power supply, the display shuts off once I reach the login screen but I can see the keyboard back-light on and the motherboard fans running....I just did a re-install again along with the updated DSDT & kexts. Still facing the same issue. ML works normally if I boot using the power cord ON.

Is there a way to log such events, so that I can check whats going wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back