Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15 9500 USB mapping issue - USB ports not detected / VoodooI2C Trackpad "Timeout waiting for bus not to be busy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, did you solve your trackpad issues with my EFI?
I've just pushed a change that introduces a lot more fixes - mainly proper USB mapping.

Hey Zach! The trackpad issue sorted itself out on its own after I disabled the touchscreen in the device BIOS. I guess VoodooI2C doesn't play well with having a touchscreen and trackpad active at the same time. I like using the touchscreen with Windows, so I'm trying to find out how to disable the touchscreen device only in OS X.

I've been using your EFI for a little while and it works wonders! The only problem I'm having is battery life. At most my laptop will last about two hours when disconnected from AC Power, even with the power management provided by CPUFriend.

Hey Zach! The trackpad issue sorted itself out on its own after I disabled the touchscreen in the device BIOS. I guess VoodooI2C doesn't play well with having a touchscreen and trackpad active at the same time. I like using the touchscreen with Windows, so I'm trying to find out how to disable the touchscreen device only in OS X.

I've been using your EFI for a little while and it works wonders! The only problem I'm having is battery life. At most my laptop will last about two hours when disconnected from AC Power, even with the power management provided by CPUFriend.

I've just pushed a fix for the battery life problem. It was caused by AppleALC with a layout of 11. I had to patch it with our pin configs to fix the CPU usage problem. I still need to fix the headphones output jack though. I've also added voltageshift to my build to undervolt the CPU - https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331775-guide-how-to-undervolt-your-haswell-and-above-cpu/

Sleep now works but wake doesn't. It freezes after the laptop wakes up with the Dell logo showing on the screen, but never gets past it no matter how long you leave it. Catalina shows it's a "sleep wake failure in EFI". Reading geek5nan's github, it seems the earlier model is facing the same issue.

Turns out the S3 wake problem happens in Windows too. It's a Dell BIOS bug.

Turns out the S3 wake problem happens in Windows too. It's a Dell BIOS bug.
hi zachs i have a problem about usb-c,if i use simbios mbp 16.4 i can use usb function but video out function i can't use!
and if i use simbios mbp 16.3 i can use video out fucntion,but i can't use usb function

I haven't tried video out since I don't have an external monitor, or a HDMI cable. Is that with the USB hub that came with the XPS?

I haven't tried video out since I don't have an external monitor, or a HDMI cable. Is that with the USB hub that came with the XPS?
not usb hub,video out function just uses laptop's usb-c !

Hey @zachs78 - mate I've been struggling to figure out the error that I've been getting and hoping you could assist. Upon boot my laptop abruptly restarts. After enabling verbose it appears the issue is centred around NVMe? AppleNVMe Assert Failed. I've tried digging to the bottom of this but so far I haven't been able to determine what is causing the issue. My specs: 10750H, FHD non touch, 2nvme ssd, booting off Samsung Evo. I have a very basic installation running but your EFI is far more advanced and I am wanting to switch to it. Especially since you have the WiFi working as well. Any tips would be much appreciated

Edit: The issue was the EC

Now I have issues with when the screen goes blank (but laptop is not sleeping) then it can not go back alive again. The laptop is not crashing though, and input devices are registering. I can still pause and play music using media controls for instance

Also Keyboard takes numerous boots to start working. I sometimes get BIOS errors that no functioning keyboard has been detected. This is not an issue when booting in and out of windows

Attachments

• IMG_0360.PNG
    IMG_0360.PNG
    7.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Dear all, I owned also a Dell XPS 15 with 4k Panel,
Only the trackpad is not working fine on this machine or better to say its not working, little movements I can do, touchscreen works fine but at the moment trackpad is for me unusable
Big Sur works too, with patched edid to 48hz

Last edited:
@thefiredragon does the intel630 drive the 4k panel ok, or do you have to drop back to 1920x1200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back