Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 12 (9Q33) OS X Mavericks Instillation

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so here's where I currently stand with the XPS 12 then.

Power Management seems to be setup now with the generated SSDT, although when I Sleep, the battery still tends to drain pretty quickly, so I'm guessing my Sleep isn't working quite right.

Verify it is actually entering sleep. Verify outward indication of sleep (usually a blinking LED). Also, upon wake, you should see 'Wake Reason' in system.log. No 'Wake Reason', then the laptop really never went to sleep. Check for sleep assertions: 'pmset -g assertions'...

Battery Status seems to be working alright with ACPIBatteryManager.kext although often when I unplug I constantly get warnings about the battery being low even though I clearly have several hours left of battery life.

Check data in ioreg: ioreg -rc IOPMPowerSource

Also, run the debug version to see if data returned from DSDT methods makes sense.

I'm in the process of trying a few different ways to get Audio working with the ALC668 codec: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/117469-need-help-patching-applehda-alc668-5.html

Try the AppleHDA with proper DSDT patches... (eg. "Audio Layout 12" ...change layout-id as necessary, and "IRQ Fix")

I downloaded ACPIBacklight.kext to see if I could get brightness adjustment working, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm assuming I need to do some DSDT patching to get it working, but I haven't started looking at that yet.

DSDT patches: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
Apply: "Rename GFX0 to IGPU", "Brightness Fix (Haswell)"
install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Note: Your GFX0 device may be defined in one of the SSDTs, not DSDT (very common with newer laptops).

The NullEthernet.kext works perfectly for me to use iMessage, iCloud, App Store, etc.

Cool... Nice to hear that works for you...

Verify it is actually entering sleep. Verify outward indication of sleep (usually a blinking LED). Also, upon wake, you should see 'Wake Reason' in system.log. No 'Wake Reason', then the laptop really never went to sleep. Check for sleep assertions: 'pmset -g assertions'...

When it goes to sleep, the power button dims, then comes back on for a little while, then dims again. Usually it just pulses. Also the keyboard backlight comes on and off. In my system.log I do see "Wake reason: EHC2" so is that a good sign? Here's are sleep assertions:

Code:
2/22/14, 1:21:26 PM EST  
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 0
   PreventDiskIdle                0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   0
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   InteractivePushServiceTask     0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   InternalPreventDisplaySleep    1
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 60(mds): [0x0000000c000003c8] 00:00:21 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power" 
   pid 107(mds_stores): [0x0000000c000003c9] 00:00:07 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power" 
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=2/22/14, 11:55 AM description=EHC1 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
   id=501  level=255 0x4=USB mod=2/22/14, 1:18 PM description=XHC owner=AppleUSBXHCI

Check data in ioreg: ioreg -rc IOPMPowerSource

Also, run the debug version to see if data returned from DSDT methods makes sense.

I'll try to run the debug version at some point. Incidentally, the Low battery indicator went away once I did the Sleep test (Sleeping, then waking the machine up). Here's what I see when I run the ioreg command:

Code:
+-o AppleSmartBattery  <class rehab_ACPIBattery, id 0x100000401, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 6>
    {
      "PostChargeWaitSeconds" = 120
      "TimeRemaining" = 110
      "InstantTimeToEmpty" = 114
      "ExternalChargeCapable" = No
      "CellVoltage" = (1943,1943,1943,1945)
      "PermanentFailureStatus" = 0
      "BatteryInvalidWakeSeconds" = 30
      "Voltage" = 7774
      "MaxCapacity" = 6433
      "Quick Poll" = No
      "AtWarnLevel" = No
      "Manufacturer" = "SANYO"
      "CurrentCapacity" = 4945
      "LegacyBatteryInfo" = {"Amperage"=18446744073709548922,"Flags"=4,"Capacity"=6433,"Current"=4945,"Voltage"=7774,"Cycle Count"=53}
      "FirmwareSerialNumber" = 266599
      "BatteryInstalled" = Yes
      "CycleCount" = 53
      "DesignCapacity" = 6756
      "AvgTimeToFull" = 65535
      "ManufactureDate" = 0
      "AtCriticalLevel" = No
      "BatteryType" = "Li-Ion"
      "InstantTimeToFull" = 65535
      "BatterySerialNumber" = "PABAS0241231-41167"
      "PostDischargeWaitSeconds" = 120
      "Serial" = "41167"
      "Temperature" = 0
      "InstantAmperage" = 18446744073709549016
      "MaxErr" = 0
      "FullyCharged" = No
      "DeviceName" = "PABAS0241231"
      "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
      "Amperage" = 18446744073709548922
      "IsCharging" = No
      "ExternalConnected" = No
      "AvgTimeToEmpty" = 110
    }

Try the AppleHDA with proper DSDT patches... (eg. "Audio Layout 12" ...change layout-id as necessary, and "IRQ Fix")

Will continue to work on AppleHDA patching...

DSDT patches: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
Apply: "Rename GFX0 to IGPU", "Brightness Fix (Haswell)"
install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Note: Your GFX0 device may be defined in one of the SSDTs, not DSDT (very common with newer laptops).

I was able to successfully apply the "Rename GFX0 to IGPU" patch, but when I tried to apply the Brightness Fix (Haswell) patch, I get 16 Compile Errors:

Code:
12747    Error    Object does not exist (\_SB.PCI0.IGPU.BAR1)
12798    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12799    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12800    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12804    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12805    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12806    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12810    Error    Object not found or not accessible from scope ( PCI0.IGPU._DOS)
12816    Error    Object does not exist (XRGH)
12817    Error    Object does not exist (XRGL)
12823    Error    Object does not exist (XRGH)
12824    Error    Object does not exist (XRGL)

When it goes to sleep, the power button dims, then comes back on for a little while, then dims again. Usually it just pulses. Also the keyboard backlight comes on and off. In my system.log I do see "Wake reason: EHC2" so is that a good sign? Here's are sleep assertions:

Code:
2/22/14, 1:21:26 PM EST  
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 0
   PreventDiskIdle                0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   0
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   InteractivePushServiceTask     0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   InternalPreventDisplaySleep    1
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 60(mds): [0x0000000c000003c8] 00:00:21 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power" 
   pid 107(mds_stores): [0x0000000c000003c9] 00:00:07 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power" 
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=2/22/14, 11:55 AM description=EHC1 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
   id=501  level=255 0x4=USB mod=2/22/14, 1:18 PM description=XHC owner=AppleUSBXHCI

You have some sleep assertions there. Your laptop will not sleep until they go away.

I'll try to run the debug version at some point. Incidentally, the Low battery indicator went away once I did the Sleep test (Sleeping, then waking the machine up). Here's what I see when I run the ioreg command:

Code:
+-o AppleSmartBattery  <class rehab_ACPIBattery, id 0x100000401, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 6>
    {
      "AtWarnLevel" = No
      "AtCriticalLevel" = No
    }

You should not get warnings with AtWarnLevel and AtCriticalLevel both equal false.

I was able to successfully apply the "Rename GFX0 to IGPU" patch, but when I tried to apply the Brightness Fix (Haswell) patch, I get 16 Compile Errors:

Code:
12747    Error    Object does not exist (\_SB.PCI0.IGPU.BAR1)
12798    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12799    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12800    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12804    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12805    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12806    Error    Object does not exist (_BCL)
12810    Error    Object not found or not accessible from scope ( PCI0.IGPU._DOS)

It must be applied to the file which has the definition for GFX0. You'll have to extract all DSDT/SSDT from Linux then search for it... look for "Device (GFX0". The rename patch must be done to both the DSDT and SSDT(s).

You have some sleep assertions there. Your laptop will not sleep until they go away.

Can you provide any insight as to good places to begin looking into why I'm getting the InternalPreventDisplaySleep assertions?

You should not get warnings with AtWarnLevel and AtCriticalLevel both equal false.

I'm definitely still getting warnings. Here's that ioreg command being run while the error is displaying (notice AtWarnLevel and AtCriticalLevel are still false... Even the battery monitor says there is more than 1 hr of battery left.

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 9.44.37 PM.png

It must be applied to the file which has the definition for GFX0. You'll have to extract all DSDT/SSDT from Linux then search for it... look for "Device (GFX0". The rename patch must be done to both the DSDT and SSDT(s).

I was able to extract all SSDTs (SSDT1 - SSDT8) in Linux using ACPI tools. I found the GFX0 device in SSDT7.dsl and I can run the patch on that one, however SSDT1 - SSDT4 don't compile correctly (they have various warnings). I also still have the ssdt.aml that ssdtPRGen.sh generated for me. Do I need all 8 SSDT files compiled and in my /Extra folder for Chameleon?

Can you provide any insight as to good places to begin looking into why I'm getting the InternalPreventDisplaySleep assertions?

Would need to see the entire output of 'pmset -g assertions'

I'm definitely still getting warnings. Here's that ioreg command being run while the error is displaying (notice AtWarnLevel and AtCriticalLevel are still false... Even the battery monitor says there is more than 1 hr of battery left.

View attachment 84519

Would need to have entire ioreg capture at that point: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Maybe you have multiple batteries...

I was able to extract all SSDTs (SSDT1 - SSDT8) in Linux using ACPI tools. I found the GFX0 device in SSDT7.dsl and I can run the patch on that one, however SSDT1 - SSDT4 don't compile correctly (they have various warnings). I also still have the ssdt.aml that ssdtPRGen.sh generated for me. Do I need all 8 SSDT files compiled and in my /Extra folder for Chameleon?

You don't really need any tools to extract from Linux. They are pseudo-files which you can copy with 'cp' (from /sys/firmware/acpi/tables).

Make sure you disassemble all files correctly. Place all files in a single directory, then disassemble with 'iasl -da *.aml'. If you need help resolving the remaining errors, post the files.

You do not want all files in /Extra. Only certain ones. You should exclude all those having to do with power management (that's what your ssdtPRgen.sh generated ssdt is for).

Power Management seems to be setup now with the generated SSDT, although when I Sleep, the battery still tends to drain pretty quickly, so I'm guessing my Sleep isn't working quite right.

Battery Status seems to be working alright with ACPIBatteryManager.kext although often when I unplug I constantly get warnings about the battery being low even though I clearly have several hours left of battery life.

I'm in the process of trying a few different ways to get Audio working with the ALC668 codec: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/117469-need-help-patching-applehda-alc668-5.html

I downloaded ACPIBacklight.kext to see if I could get brightness adjustment working, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm assuming I need to do some DSDT patching to get it working, but I haven't started looking at that yet.

The NullEthernet.kext works perfectly for me to use iMessage, iCloud, App Store, etc.

I'm using a wireless dongle for now for WiFi. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do at this point for WiFi until I can find a compatible NGFF M.2 WiFi card. I've been keeping my eye on this thread:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5932-intel-7260-dual-band-m2-ngff-card/

As he mentions a BCM94352Z NGFF M.2 chip, but no reports on where to buy one.

http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan515.html

Its not the 94352Z, but an alternative...

I wrote them, they just asked me how much i need, and never answered again...

I didnt find anything else in ngff form factor... if i will find, im going to post that in my OSXLatitude thread...

Cheers :)

Hello, newbie here. Just wondering if you have a guide you can post for the xps 12. Would really appreciate it. :D

I'm using a wireless dongle for now for WiFi. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do at this point for WiFi until I can find a compatible NGFF M.2 WiFi card. I've been keeping my eye on this thread:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5932-intel-7260-dual-band-m2-ngff-card/

As he mentions a BCM94352Z NGFF M.2 chip, but no reports on where to buy one.

You can buy here one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201051644736

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back