Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 12 9Q23: Yosemite 10.10 Almost Working (Clover Install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you also implement backlight control as well as output on the DP? I tried the efi folder you uploaded earlier but no luck on getting the brightness control.

Either way, I got an almost fully functionally system thanks to you now. If I can't get the DP to work, it won't be a big deal but it'll make the laptop fully functional.

Thanks again yves32!
No. Backlight control is not going to work with displayport according to Rehabman. You may use Shade to control brightness; http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades .
Current issue for my xps 12: screen stays dark after wake up from sleep.

eDP is not supported by the HD4000 drivers.
You can probably use an ig-platform-id more typically used in desktop scenarios (it will use DP), but you will lose the ability to implement backlight control, lid sleep, etc (since it treats the display as external).

Hi Rehabman,
I have made almost everything working for my xps12 except one issue: black screen after wake up from sleep.
The laptop has eDP connector with HD4000 and I do not expect brightness control to work. Now sleep works well but not wake up. Here are what I have done:
1. Cleaned up clover folder and config.plist.
2. With ig-platform-id 01660003 external monitor works. Patch to AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri can make internal screen working.
3. 0166000A or B makes both internal and external screen working (2 DP ports). So I kept using 0166000A.
4. Then patched dsdt to fix some errors and made sleep working.
5. When laptop sleeps both internal and external screens sleep.
6. When laptop wakes up external screen comes back, but internal remains black without backlight.
7. I also tried AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri patched eDP with 01660003, but the issue persists.

How can I wake up the internal screen? I attached clover folder, ioregistry and some terminal command output you normally ask.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
  • MacBookAir.ioreg
    4 MB · Views: 105
  • command_output.txt.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hey, gonna give this a shot - Thanks for your work. I hope others (very few) find this helpful :)

**Edit - Works great, a few mis fire clicks thou sometimes (bottom right/left), but once I install the 0.7 pref pane for the Cyprus trackpad, I enabled tap (works finally) and changed a few settings so it wouldn't fire off (pressure type deal)

Thanks again for your work yves32 - Makes having this laptop that much special.

I agree with you that the trackpad is much more responsive in OSX thanks to your modified kext.

I don't need 4,5 finger gestures either. By any chance, did you manage to get the displayport working?

The trackpad seems to be too sensitive and I changed two default settings. Dragging Pressure increased from 80 to 120, and Filter pressure from 20 to 80. I do not experience mis-fire anymore with the changes.

Attachments

• VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip
    88.5 KB · Views: 103
Hi Rehabman,
I have made almost everything working for my xps12 except one issue: black screen after wake up from sleep.
The laptop has eDP connector with HD4000 and I do not expect brightness control to work. Now sleep works well but not wake up. Here are what I have done:
1. Cleaned up clover folder and config.plist.
2. With ig-platform-id 01660003 external monitor works. Patch to AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri can make internal screen working.
3. 0166000A or B makes both internal and external screen working (2 DP ports). So I kept using 0166000A.
4. Then patched dsdt to fix some errors and made sleep working.
5. When laptop sleeps both internal and external screens sleep.
6. When laptop wakes up external screen comes back, but internal remains black without backlight.
7. I also tried AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri patched eDP with 01660003, but the issue persists.

How can I wake up the internal screen? I attached clover folder, ioregistry and some terminal command output you normally ask.

ACPI not patched correctly... but no idea if that is really your problem, as eDP is not really supported...
Laptops with eDP are not a good choice for hackintosh.

ACPI not patched correctly... but no idea if that is really your problem, as eDP is not really supported...
Laptops with eDP are not a good choice for hackintosh.

I understand the difficulties but I am very close. Hope you can point me to the right direction with the following observations.

Based on the current clover folder, if 01660003 is used, everything works except no image on the built-in display. Although no image, I can see backlight turned up and down when using brightness keys on keyboard. From external monitor I can see brightness control bar for the internal screen. When changing brightness from the control bar I can see internal screen backlight intensity going up and down but no image. Sleep and wake work well.

If 0166000A is used, both internal and external screens work but no brightness control for either. External screen can wake up after sleep but not the internal one.

Video system on the laptop is weird. It seems backlight is on lvds and graphics on dp. With 01660003 (lvds, backlight on, no image) when I press sleep button, backlight shutoff immediately and laptop goes to sleep with a delay of ~20s. Backlight comes back upon wakeup. With 0166000A(dp, backlight+image) when I press sleep button, image shutoff immediately but backlight stays on until laptop sleeps with ~20s delay. Backlight does not come back upon wakeup.

Tested other ids 0166000x and they all hang during boot up when progress bar reached ~50% and mouse pointer showed up. Not sure what else to experiment.

Last edited:
I understand the difficulties but I am very close. Hope you can point me to the right direction with the following observations.

Based on the current clover folder, if 01660003 is used, everything works except no image on the built-in display. Although no image, I can see backlight turned up and down when using brightness keys on keyboard. From external monitor I can see brightness control bar for the internal screen. When changing brightness from the control bar I can see internal screen backlight intensity going up and down but no image. Sleep and wake work well.

If 0166000A is used, both internal and external screens work but no brightness control for either. External screen can wake up after sleep but not the internal one.

Video system on the laptop is weird. It seems backlight is on lvds and graphics on dp. With 01660003 (lvds, backlight on, no image) when I press sleep button, backlight shutoff immediately and laptop goes to sleep with a delay of ~20s. Backlight comes back upon wakeup. With 0166000A(dp, backlight+image) when I press sleep button, image shutoff immediately but backlight stays on until laptop sleeps with ~20s delay. Backlight does not come back upon wakeup.

Tested other ids 0166000x and they all hang during boot up when progress bar reached ~50% and mouse pointer showed up. Not sure what else to experiment.

You will need to find a way to patch the system such that backlight control can work with eDP and not just LVDS...

You will need to find a way to patch the system such that backlight control can work with eDP and not just LVDS...
This is challenging. Do you know if anyone has done something similar?

Hi RehaMan,
I am trying to find a patch for my XPS 12 with eDP screen connector, mainly for screen wakeup. It is not easy but I may have a clue now.
I made two configurations to boot up Sierra and the IORegistry files are attached. Ig-Platform-id is set to 0x01660003 for both. One is patched for AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext to use eDP port, and the other is not patched. The patched configuration has working screen, sleeps well but no backlight after wakeup. The non-patched one has black screen with backlight on internal lcd, and I have to work with external screen to get IOReg file. System including internal screen sleeps well and wakeup well.
By carefully examining the two IOReg files, I found the non-patched one has IOScreenRestoreState data <02 00 00 00> while the patched one is <00 00 00 00> at IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0.
My question is how to set IOScreenRestoreState data by DSDT patching. I believe the screen may wakeup if the data is not zero.
There is also a difference in GFX0@2 for IOHibernateState between the two configurations.
I tried but did not include other DSDT patches, such as brightness fix for HD3000/4000, since they did not make any difference for the wakeup issue.

Attachments

• IOreg.zip
    863.1 KB · Views: 83
Hi RehaMan,
I am trying to find a patch for my XPS 12 with eDP screen connector, mainly for screen wakeup. It is not easy but I may have a clue now.
I made two configurations to boot up Sierra and the IORegistry files are attached. Ig-Platform-id is set to 0x01660003 for both. One is patched for AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext to use eDP port, and the other is not patched. The patched configuration has working screen, sleeps well but no backlight after wakeup. The non-patched one has black screen with backlight on internal lcd, and I have to work with external screen to get IOReg file. System including internal screen sleeps well and wakeup well.
By carefully examining the two IOReg files, I found the non-patched one has IOScreenRestoreState data <02 00 00 00> while the patched one is <00 00 00 00> at IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0.
My question is how to set IOScreenRestoreState data by DSDT patching. I believe the screen may wakeup if the data is not zero.
There is also a difference in GFX0@2 for IOHibernateState between the two configurations.
I tried but did not include other DSDT patches, such as brightness fix for HD3000/4000, since they did not make any difference for the wakeup issue.

You cannot set it with ACPI.
It is set within the kexts themselves.
I don't see any references to IOScreenRestoreState in AppleIntelFramebufferAzul, but there is in the IOGraphicsFamily binary.
IOGraphicsFamily.kext is open source, so you might want to read the source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back