Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT740 SC
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been off the forum for awhile, so a little rusty.

I have been using a 2007 Dell 2407WFP with my Hackintosh for years with no problem. I am connected by a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

I want to upgrade to a Dell U2717D - using DVI-D to Display Port. (I also tried HDMI and DVI-I) None of them works, there is no signal being sent to monitor. The monitor is 8 months old and I have previously used it with a Mac trashcan.

My Nvidia driver says it's up to date.

I ran the script from this post in my Terminal (No benefit)-

Although I will be mostly using the new Dell U27 as a single monitor, I'd like to be able to also connect my old Dell for Dual Monitors occasionally.

I hope I'm not missing a post that explains it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I've been off the forum for awhile, so a little rusty.

I have been using a 2007 Dell 2407WFP with my Hackintosh for years with no problem. I am connected by a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

I want to upgrade to a Dell U2717D - using DVI-D to Display Port. (I also tried HDMI and DVI-I) None of them works, there is no signal being sent to monitor. The monitor is 8 months old and I have previously used it with a Mac trashcan.

My Nvidia driver says it's up to date.

I ran the script from this post in my Terminal (No benefit)-

Although I will be mostly using the new Dell U27 as a single monitor, I'd like to be able to also connect my old Dell for Dual Monitors occasionally.

I hope I'm not missing a post that explains it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I don't think DVI (Graphics card) to DisplayPort (Monitor) can work. DisplayPort (Graphics card) to DVI-D (Monitor) can work using an appropriate DisplayPort to DVI-D cable.

Your EVGA graphics card only has DVI and mini-HDMI ports. Since the U2717D has a HDMI port, perhaps you can try connecting the mini-HDMI port or DVI-D port to the HDMI port on the monitor using an appropriate cable and/or adapter.

Thanks. Do you know if the problem is inherent in the Card, Cable or Monitor?

I have tried all three ports (with new cables, no adapters) out from the Nvidia Card (DVI-I to DP, DVI-D to DP and mHDMI to HDMI) and none are sending a signal.

Thanks. Do you know if the problem is inherent in the Card, Cable or Monitor?

I have tried all three ports (with new cables, no adapters) out from the Nvidia Card (DVI-I to DP, DVI-D to DP and mHDMI to HDMI) and none are sending a signal.

Do you have a DVI to HDMI adapter, like this one?
82-021-060-07.jpg

You can plug this into the DVI-D port on the graphics card and then connect a HDMI cable from the other end to the HDMI port on the monitor.

Do you have a DVI to HDMI adapter, like this one?
82-021-060-07.jpg

You can plug this into the DVI-D port on the graphics card and then connect a HDMI cable from the other end to the HDMI port on the monitor.

No I bought these converting DVI cables and tried each of them to connect directly. (Also tried a mHDMI adapter to HDMI cable)

BTW - I have also tried the DVI - DP using the native DVI port from my Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5 motherboard rather than the Nvidia Card. Wondering if it's just a Driver issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.36.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.36.58 PM.png
    321.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.37.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.37.26 PM.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2019-04-12 17.54.10 copy.jpg
    2019-04-12 17.54.10 copy.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 2019-04-12 17.53.18.jpg
    2019-04-12 17.53.18.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
No I bought these converting DVI cables and tried each of them to connect directly. (Also tried a mHDMI adapter to HDMI cable)

BTW - I have also tried the DVI - DP using the native DVI port from my Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5 motherboard rather than the Nvidia Card. Wondering if it's just a Driver issue.

The adapter I mentioned is quite cheap. Perhaps you can get one and try?

As far as I know, if you connect a DVI port to the DisplayPort input of a monitor you won't get a signal, and it is NOT a driver issue but rather hardware related. These DisplayPort-DVI cables are meant to be used to connect a DisplayPort output from a graphics card or motherboard to a DVI port on the monitor.

Your motherboard has a HDMI port. Have you tried to use a standard HDMI cable to connect the motherboard and the HDMI port of your monitor?

Last edited:
The adapter I mentioned is quite cheap. Perhaps you can get one and try?

As far as I know, if you connect a DVI port to the DisplayPort input of a monitor you won't get a signal, and it is NOT a driver issue but rather hardware related. These DisplayPort-DVI cables are meant to be used to connect a DisplayPort output from a graphics card or motherboard to a DVI port on the monitor.

Your motherboard has a HDMI port. Have you tried to use a standard HDMI cable to connect the motherboard and the HDMI port of your monitor?

The DVI to HDMI worked. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back