i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Hi all,

I'm newbish so I apologize in advance.

I have a Dell Poweredge T710 server with:

dual E5500 Xeons,
16GB RAM properly configured
Perc6i RAID W/ 1 Virtual 930GB drive (3 physical)
2.0.13 BIOS
NVIDIA GTX 960
iDRAC reset to factory settings

I have a 16GB USB drive with the AppStore-download Catalina installer on it.
I have Unibeast 10.3.0 Catalina on it also.

So here's the state of the union so far:

I've read Serge's thread on his R710 install of High Sierra. He seemed to have achieved success in what he did with the mods and PCIe add-ons. I purchased most of what he mentioned to make his rig work in the hopes that it would work for me, except for the video card. He mentions the use of an NVIDIA GTX 750 as being the only KNOWN compatible video card solution for this build. This is the only categorical difference between his and my build that I can think of right now.

Right now I have the USB stick inserted in the internal USB port on the T710 mainboard. I have removed the RAID riser card, slide-out bracket and the SAS/SATA bus cables from it that go to the drives, as well as the open-door alarm switch and RAID battery cable. This had to be done to physically accommodate the GTX 960 card. I have turned off the 4x Broadcom NICs in the BIOS. I have turned off the built-in video. In addition to disconnecting the RAID card I have also turned it off in the BIOS.

At this point, I can get to Clover to make changes. The farthest I've been able to get after beginning the install is the Apple logo and an empty progress bar. Zero progress on the bar, though. I believe the hang ups to be either video card-related or some kexts that are wrong, perhaps? I've tried toggling all of the video properties in Clover, to no avail.

I don't yet know how to print/save a status log for you to look at. Sorry. Any help would be appreciated. I'm close, I can feel it.

Thank you, P1LGRIM. After my post, I decided to try and see if I could get High Sierra running on this rig with my GTX 960. Long story short, I've gotten High Sierra to start installing on a PCIe NVMe drive. It gets down to 2 minutes on the installer progress and then the machine reboots inexplicably. so, trying to figure that one out.

And per your post about NVIDIA cards, I do have an EVGA GT 730 card that, although supposedly compatible, will not work with this machine at all thus far.

And per your post about NVIDIA cards, I do have an EVGA GT 730 card that, although supposedly compatible, will not work with this machine at all thus far.
There are two main versions of GT 730.
Those with DDR3 memory have native support while those with GDDR5 memory do not.

I looked mine up on gpuzoo and it has the Kepler architecture with DDR3 memory. I tried this card again. immediately after I try booting to unibeast/High Sierra, the screen just stays black. Next question. How do I know what web drivers to use for this card? I haven't loaded any yet.

I did get the High Sierra install to go almost all the way to the end with the GTX 960, but before it finishes, the progress bar stops short and then the machine restarts. the target drive will then show nothing has been copied onto it.

I'm done with this build. Giant waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back