Contribute
Register

Dell Studio XPS 9100 with ATI Radeon HD 5970 install guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATI_Init? I'm not familiar. Is that the old boot method? I'm using the iBoot + MultiBeast. Once you have everything installed, the most important thing is Chameleon rc5 r700 experimental for ATI5xxx and boot with:-v arch=i386 busratio=21 -force64

Those two parameters will allow you to easily boot 5870.

In verbose, please tell me where it freezes at. I've had issue where it freezes and resolved with the correct SleepEnabler.kext.

If you do not have custom DSDT.aml. Make sure you have all kext required for boot.

If you have problem booting up. You can always use the iBoot CD to boot your computer. When booting with iBoot CD, do not use installation boot param but use the: -v arch=i386 busratio=21 -force64

Also, if you find yourself missing kext or conflicting kext in your /Extra/Extensions. I find that downloading trial version of MacDrive for windows allow me to move my kext around. Before I begin messing with deleting and adding kext, I suggest backing up your good kext from /Extra/Extensions. Since you have it backed up, you can always boot into windows, use MacDrive to delete or move your kext into /Extra/Extensions. Then add -x boot option to allow the system to pickup the kext. MacDrive allow you to access mac partition in windows. It has like 1 week trial period which is plenty for trouble shooting purposes.

I see what you mean by ATI_Init now. It's from the original author ATI_Init Vervet. Sorry, I did not follow the original author instruction since the new MultiBeast does not have this option. Try downloading latest MultiBeast and run all the options in my Step 3. I outlined everything that is required for boot in the new MultiBeast.

And yes, I do have everything booting in 64 bit because I have 12GB ram. See my GeekBench in the dsdt post above. If you see 32bits in the report, it's because GeekBench is only free in 32bits.

Only two problems I'm having (if you even consider them problems):

1) No internal sound card. AppleHDA is faster than VooDooHDA bootup anyway. I decided to disable internal sound card, and used a USB Sound adapter to overcome VMWare complain about having no controllable sound device.
2) My MagicMouse does not work coming out of sleep. Everything else works fine. I'm using a $1 bluetooth nano (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd) purchased from Meritline in combination with the MagicMouse. To resolve this issue, I'm going to pickup the Targus USB Bluetooth Adapter next week for $10 on craigslist.

ok thanks! I will try again when the computer isn't busy rendering and post the results. I have a feeling it would probably work if I used a fresh install, but I'm trying to get it to work off my backed up install with all my programs and settings set... it takes quite a awhile to get things running the way you like it!

right now i'm using the newest multibeast and everything with this 10.6.6 sleepenabler - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 42192&st=0 and this setting in the plist - <string>arch=i386 pmVersion=21 busratio =21 -force 64</string> everything works fine as long as I retain ati-init.... but still running 32 bit for the same reason. Would love to make mine work like yours as it seems like we have the same computer.

I haven't tried using the dsdt yet, will do so in the next attempt.

If everything works as you've described, there is no need to do a fresh install. In order to remove graphic enabler (ATI_Init), all you need is to install the Chamelion rc5 r700 experimental. This is the boot method use in the current iBoot which should work in place of your graphic enabler. It is part of the current MultiBeast.

You can remove ATI_Init and use MacDrive in windows to add it back if my suggestion did not work. There is no need to go through the whole fresh install again.

Also, you said you have -force64 (no spaces)? Are you sure you're not in 64 bits? I have MacFuse and NTFS-3G installed in System Preference. MacFuse only run in 32 bits so it tell me to switch to System Preference to 32bits when I try to run it. MacFuse was one of the first App I installed to access my windows partition for files I downloaded in windows. That is how I first realized I'm running in all 64 bits. Of course, I've also ran other App such as GeekBench in 64 bits which tells me it's only free in 32 bits.

It's a Hackingtosh, you have so many choices other than fresh install. Here are some obvious ones:

1) I dual boot so if something happen, I can troubleshoot rather than do a fresh install. I can always use Windows for emergency. When MacDrive trial run out, I have Windows 7 backup to restore so I can reinstall MacDrive trial version again. Then I can restart my troubleshooting without having to do a fresh install.

2) And if you pick MacPro 3,1 and setup TimeMachine backup of your last good install, then you can use the iBoot method to restore your drive from TimeMachine.

3) Hard Drives are cheap these days. And if you value your current install, you can always use another hard drive to try out a fresh install.

4) You can even use TimeMachine to restore to that new drive and boot from it. Then boot into your currently working snow leopard and install chameleon to the new drive.

HELP@@@ cant install 10.11.5 on my dell XPS 9100 i made a bootable usb stick with unibeast and also try Pandoras box also tried to load it onto a hard drive and boot from that allo i get is a white blinking underscoree line top left any help?? thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back