Contribute
Register

Dell Studio 1558 (Core i7 720QM) 10.6.7 update problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
viero86 said:
Hi,

Could you provide the method you used to install OSX on your laptop.
I'm using Dell 1558 also with 5470 but core i5 CPU. After installing I rebooted and see screen with weird patters, looks like graphic driver was not installed properly.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Read the entire post please. In the 4th post it's mentioned how to install OS X on the 5470. In the 8th post, there's a link to tutorial for triple booting that you could use. Follow only the OS X part.

Thanks for the reply.
I notice that the patterns appeared only when connecting to ext monitor.
When using laptop screen alone, it showed the logo and rotating icon. Then I hear some rock music and voice guidance (sort of) but still the gray boot screen. Am I supposed to wait and for how long? The last time I stood by for 30 mins but the boot screen is still there.

Can you tell me what boot CD you're using? If it is Chameleon RC5 rev 650, I had a problem with keyboard support during installation. I attached a USB keyboard and mouse and I was able to continue the installation.

From what you describe, it sounds like my problems when using iBoot Legacy.

Try the insanelymac forum, I find more help there (and quicker), but that's just me. This is my post on it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 59702&st=0

Thank you very much for the link and detailed descriptions in that topic.
I followed your instructions and here's my process:
* Preinstall:
- Since I already had Windows 7 and don't want to erase the existing installation so I use transmac(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/transmac.html) to make bootable usb install of the retail DVD 10.6.3
- Replace OSInstall.mpkg with the file downloaded from http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/05/06 ... ard-disks/
( I tried to replace both files as the instructions but failed on the other file. Replace only 1 worked for me)
* Install:
- Boot with ibootlegacy (no flag)
- Choose USB stick
- Proceed with installation
After that I use your attached files in that topic with instructions. The first time I ran the update compo from Apple it hangs and messed around with my RAM so that I could not even start Win 7 normal. Memory test diagnostic tool said it's the hardware problem but can't fix it. So I use HirenBoot CD run memtest 86+ and after that it went fine (Mac drive is still corrupted)
On second time I got it working as expected. Installed chimera but it didn't work. Then installed Chameleon, switch to Windows 7 add new boot record for Mac drive (using EasyBCD) and it worked.
Couple of issues so far:
- Wify doesn't work even after installing the enabler
- The original flawed Chimera is still there. My boot sequence goes like this Chimera(failed)->Win 7 Boot Mgr -> Chameleon. Is there any way to remove Chimera? Also using Chameleon I have to set bootflag GraphicsEnabler=yes all the time. Is there any way to configure it?
- Connect to external monitor before the boot does not work (kernel panic error). And it doesn't support 1920x1024 resolution
- Cannot go to stand by mode, sometimes restarting hangs

Lifelike27 you rock!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back