X5690
Graphics
GTX 970 +RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Everything was going well, made the BIOS changes, easy. Now the DELL will not boot, like no BIOS. No DELL logo, no F2 or F12 options. I cannot get to F12 to choose thumbdrive to install MacOS, and I can no longer boot the windows drive, like I started... Been trying BIOS recovery, no go. Strugglin' : (

Once or twice, I got the DELL blue screen, "There was an error, ; (, let us reboot for you", something like that... Then the same black screen, no DELL logo screen to enter BIOS or boot select. No jumper or CMOS clear button on these machines either. After machine sitting like its doing nothing, I hit space bar drive blinks and/or reboots, into the same cycle not being able to get into BIOS or boot select.

Update:Back in business/BIOS!

Last edited:
This is usually a sign that a new CMOS battery should be installed. I do that routinely for any refurb I buy.

From my Optiplex 9020 guide:

These Dell Optiplex PCs are about 5 years old and may have sat on a shelf for two years unplugged from power. When Lithium batteries stay in a fully discharged state for long periods it greatly reduces their ability to hold a charge. My 9020 MT model had a battery like this. I kept getting a black screen at boot up. Was not able to even access the BIOS until I unplugged from power, removed the battery for a minute and reseated it.

I had checked the battery with a multimeter and it read 3.0v. Should be good right ? Even if it reads 3.0 volts it still may not be able to provide adequate voltage under load. When I test new CR2032 batteries the reading is often from 3.4 to 3.5 volts. That's how a good fresh battery should test out.

I did change battery and plugged in a different monitor and the DELL screen appeared. All is working as it should, F2/F12, no prob now.

Almost there, installer rebooting, so something not quite right with OpenCore. BUT able to boot the USB drive.
Best to use older 6.9 or newer 8.8/8.9? I am taking a lil break and rereading instructions, line by line again. As you said, "haste is waste", : )

(I owe you a beer, coffee, snack. Zelle, venmo, PayPal? DM me and I'll hook you up)

Almost there, installer rebooting, so something not quite right with OpenCore. BUT able to boot the USB drive.
Best to use older 6.9 or newer 8.8/8.9?
Did you make your own EFI by following the Dortania guide ? If so you should have the latest OpenCore.
When doing the macOS install make sure to completely disconnect the Windows drive. Keeps things simpler.

Last edited:
I did it! Catalina installed, USB ports mapped, Ethernet, boots from SSD. YES!

Only issue I am having at the moment is AppleALC. No onboard audio. I've been trying different ALC255/3234 layouts, "alcid=XXX", no luck yet.

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 12.51.11 AM.png

The last thing I am strugglin with is the iGPU. Shootin' for 4k@60.

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 8.11.50 PM.jpeg
PNG image.jpeg

After reading WhateverGreen manual I am still a bit lost. I did confirm Lilu/WhateverGreen are loading correctly. Is potentially the prob because I have no "device-id" in config? According to Intel's site it is 0x3E92 (29E300); Hackintool: 0x3E928086.

PNG image.png

Do I need to add each framebuffer-con0, con1, con2 and port count to config.plist?

example: framebuffer-con0-alldata Data <001050900 00040000 C7030000>
framebuffer-con0-enable Data <01000000>
...and so on for con1 & 2
framebuffer-portcount Data <03000000>

Back