Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7010

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 790 will require legacy boot mode, but the 7010 should be able to use UEFI boot. You should not need a USB sound device if you are willing to use the VoodooHDA drivers. The ones on Multibeast do not work; download them from Sourceforge directly. Regarding graphics cards, you can use pretty much any graphics card that does not require external power (i.e. plugging in a power cable onto the card). Check Nvidia's site for power ratings and stay at 75W or lower. You can even use a 1050 ti in these machines. The GT 710 is only 19W max.

You will need to make sure to apply the USB patches, and in particular ensure that the ports are injected properly. Your DSDT needs to also be enabled for "Darwin" (OS X) if you want sleep (and any peripherals, really) to work properly. Lastly, USB3 ports may require using iMac14,2 rather than iMac13,* for USB3 (even though your processor better matches iMac13,*).

Last edited:
I followed the post for hp 8300 elite by trs96 as close as I could with the different bios menu. For the usb to work I had to select USB ownership in clover. Used the same MultiBeast settings. Config.plist I change EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02. Also selected USB ownership. Worked fine for me but had to use a usb adapter for the audio. Imessage and facetime works with no problem. Sleep works. Tried a 710 graphic card just to see if audio worked over HDMI and it does. Only problem so far is the usb quits working if you plug something to it while sleeping.

Just wish the hd4000 hdmi audio would work.

Audio should work with VoodooHDA drivers. As for sleep, what SMBIOS are you using? Unless I am mistaken, macs do not recognize devices plugged in while sleeping (at least not on any of my real macs). They are only recognized when plugged in when the machine is awake _and_ you are logged in. Are you staying that all devices that were already plugged in prior to sleep also stop functioning when new devices are inserted during sleep?

Audio should work with VoodooHDA drivers. As for sleep, what SMBIOS are you using? Unless I am mistaken, macs do not recognize devices plugged in while sleeping (at least not on any of my real macs). They are only recognized when plugged in when the machine is awake _and_ you are logged in. Are you staying that all devices that were already plugged in prior to sleep also stop functioning when new devices are inserted during sleep?
yes. If a usb drive is plugged in while asleep then the bluetooth keyboard and mouse will not work after it wakes up. I updated the bios before I started on the dell 7010

My 7010 is an i7-3770, so I can't help you on graphics. But following the main guide and booting from UEFI, everything but sound worked on the first try. I got VoodooHDA 2.8.8 from Sourceforge, and found a video guide on YouTube for getting iMessage to work. I don't put the box to sleep, in case I'm running torrents or other processes overnight. :)

OK! So I got the GT 710, and I can install Sierra, albeit on Legacy mode. There were a couple of issues with audio, but I'm sure I could sort them. However, the boot up is really slow.

This Optiplex 7010 has UEFI mode in its BIOS, so I thought i would give that a go. I can go as far as booting up from the USB, but I get a no entry sign, before it loads. So far in BIOS, I've turned off Legacy mode and virtualization, but I can't seem to get past this point. I tried booting in Verbose mode, but the text goes garbled as soon as the no entry sign appears. Could anybody give me any suggestions to try?

thanks

Rob

Hi There
Has anyone successfully hacked a Dell Optiplex 7010 before? If so could you help me with my BIOS/MultiBeast settings? I got it to the Clover screen then the Apple logo, but it went into a kernel panic after, its got Linux on it at the moment, so I guess it should work, its the smaller 7010 (see pic)

Thanks

Rob

View attachment 266559
Hey there. I have succesfully gotten to El Capitan. I believe I used the System defaults. I started with OS X Snow Leopard (Retail DVD from apple and iBoot Ivy Bridge) DO NOT USE YOUR GRAPHICS CARD IF YOU HAVE ONE! And then I downloaded UniBeast and Install macOS X El Capitan. I used UniBeast to create a bootable USB and then downloaded the Standard LATEST Config.plist from here:
After creating the bootable USB and downloading the Standard LATEST config.plist, I downloaded the Latest version of Clover Bootloader, and clicked change install Location to the bootable USB.
Then I put that in place of the original one in EFI/Clover/ . Then I took the Kexts from EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10 and put them in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other . After all of that, you are ready to start installing El Capitan!

Now, Shut down your PC, and plug in the USB drive to a working USB port. press F12 and click USB boot device. Then it should boot into Clover Bootloader. use the arrows to navigate to 'Boot macOS X El Capitan Install from [USB drive Name}' it should look something like that... DON'T USE ANY BOOT ARGS! Just boot normal, without your graphics card plugged in. Then the apple logo should come up soon. If you are using a wide screen monitor, it may not look like the right aspect ratio, which is okay. Just let it do its thing... It will soon come up with the Loading bar, then before that is done, it will split to eight apples with black horizontal lines through them. Then it will change to the one apple logo with loading bar and will go all the way through. Then you should be able to start the install process. Once it reboots, you want to click 'Boot macOS X from [Drive Name]' in clover bootloader. STILL NOT USING YOUR GRAPHICS CARD. You should be able to go through the first time setup process, and then when you are in, go to the internet and download MultiBeast for El Capitan. Go through that and choose what all you want to install. For example, I have an AMD Radeon 7470 Graphics card, so I injected the ATI Graphics configuration. When you get to quick start in MultiBeast, click Legacy Boot Mode. Then Reboot

I am still working on installing High Sierra, but let me know if you run into any problems.

Hey there. I have succesfully gotten to El Capitan. I believe I used the System defaults. I started with OS X Snow Leopard (Retail DVD from apple and iBoot Ivy Bridge) DO NOT USE YOUR GRAPHICS CARD IF YOU HAVE ONE! And then I downloaded UniBeast and Install macOS X El Capitan. I used UniBeast to create a bootable USB and then downloaded the Standard LATEST Config.plist from here:
After creating the bootable USB and downloading the Standard LATEST config.plist, I downloaded the Latest version of Clover Bootloader, and clicked change install Location to the bootable USB.
Then I put that in place of the original one in EFI/Clover/ . Then I took the Kexts from EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10 and put them in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other . After all of that, you are ready to start installing El Capitan!

Now, Shut down your PC, and plug in the USB drive to a working USB port. press F12 and click USB boot device. Then it should boot into Clover Bootloader. use the arrows to navigate to 'Boot macOS X El Capitan Install from [USB drive Name}' it should look something like that... DON'T USE ANY BOOT ARGS! Just boot normal, without your graphics card plugged in. Then the apple logo should come up soon. If you are using a wide screen monitor, it may not look like the right aspect ratio, which is okay. Just let it do its thing... It will soon come up with the Loading bar, then before that is done, it will split to eight apples with black horizontal lines through them. Then it will change to the one apple logo with loading bar and will go all the way through. Then you should be able to start the install process. Once it reboots, you want to click 'Boot macOS X from [Drive Name]' in clover bootloader. STILL NOT USING YOUR GRAPHICS CARD. You should be able to go through the first time setup process, and then when you are in, go to the internet and download MultiBeast for El Capitan. Go through that and choose what all you want to install. For example, I have an AMD Radeon 7470 Graphics card, so I injected the ATI Graphics configuration. When you get to quick start in MultiBeast, click Legacy Boot Mode. Then Reboot

I am still working on installing High Sierra, but let me know if you run into any problems.

Hi there

I was able to install Sierra with no problems once i installed the gt710 graphics card, i haven't got round to high sierra yet, good luck with it.

Rob

Hi there

I was able to install Sierra with no problems once i installed the gt710 graphics card, i haven't got round to high sierra yet, good luck with it.

Rob
Hey. So I was not able to direct upgrade to High Sierra from El Capitan, because it kept freezing when running the 'Install macOS High Sierra' app. And I couldn't make a bootable USB because it would tell me that the app was incomplete or damaged. So I tried macOS Sierra, and boom. It did a bootable UniBeast USB right away! And then I did the same thing I did to the El Capitan install USB, and its on the installation page right now with 30 minutes remaining! I will try high sierra again after Sierra installs.

Hey. So I was not able to direct upgrade to High Sierra from El Capitan, because it kept freezing when running the 'Install macOS High Sierra' app. And I couldn't make a bootable USB because it would tell me that the app was incomplete or damaged. So I tried macOS Sierra, and boom. It did a bootable UniBeast USB right away! And then I did the same thing I did to the El Capitan install USB, and its on the installation page right now with 30 minutes remaining! I will try high sierra again after Sierra installs.

Thats good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back