Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7010 - Success High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for this. I was having trouble enabling USB3 on my Optiplex 7010 and RehabMan's guide didn't seem to work for me (not showing XHC) - this cleared things up and I'm 100% functional now.
Good to hear that fix worked on another machine! (To be honest, I don't know what the effect of disabling 'change _OSI to XOSI' is - hopefully won't cause problems!)
Have you experimented with any power management stuff - CStates, PStates, SSDTs etc.? Can you report back if yes... I can't seem to get Turbo Boost working (frequencies max out at 3.1)

Good to hear that fix worked on another machine! (To be honest, I don't know what the effect of disabling 'change _OSI to XOSI' is - hopefully won't cause problems!)
Have you experimented with any power management stuff - CStates, PStates, SSDTs etc.? Can you report back if yes... I can't seem to get Turbo Boost working (frequencies max out at 3.1)

I used the script method outlined here for power management: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

The test at the end indicated all frequencies were working when I checked.

Just to clarify, you mentioned you weren’t using any 3rd party kexts for your working USB - are you not using the USBInjectAll.kext?

No extra USB kexts, just that one edit in the dsdt and the disabled 'change _OSI to XOSI' to the config plist.

Have you seen frequencies close to 3.6 Ghz with your i5-3475s then? On my machine (CPU=i7-3770s), intel Power Gadget reports nothing above 3.1 Ghz... Turbo Boost should reach 3.9 Ghz.

Last edited:
Have you seen frequencies close to 3.6 Ghz with your i5-3475s then? On my machine (CPU=i7-3770s), intel Power Gadget reports nothing above 3.1 Ghz... Turbo Boost should reach 3.9 Ghz.

If you are using sysdef iMac 14,2 which is default, change it to iMac 13,2 and see if that gets you the higher CPU frequencies. If not then use 13,2 with an SSDT for your specific CPU.

Using Clover/Clover Configurator, got USB 3.0 ports working, without 3rd party kexts

1) a minor edit to the DSDT.aml: search for "Windows 2009" and change it to "Darwin" (and save to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder).
2) disable 'change _OSI to XOSI' in Clover Configurator, in Acpi/Patches pane.

Dell Optiplex 7010 USFF
i7 3770s
16GB ram
Intel HD 4000

Sys def: iMac13,2
macOS 10.13.3

(Separately, Messages worked o.o.b.).

Cl1k.... You are a legend! That worked for me too....Thank you.

I downloaded the current version of High Sierra from the app store and used a combination the current high sierra guide + this one https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...orking-and-easily-affordable-customac.224812/

My install looked like...

1. BIOS SETTINGS as per guides
  2. Use Unibeast to install high sierra (took 2-3 attempts as it kept freezing..)
  3. MultiBeast for post install (ticking apple lan for lan support - pretty much all I needed to do...) then a reboot and igpu started to work
  4. Voodoo HDA 2.8.8 direct from sourceforge install package and got audio working on the next reboot
Things not working include the aforementioned sleep issue and I still get random system freeze's, dont get any freeze's in windows so I've missed something out and I'm not sure what.

If your cpu has the intel 4000 hd built in then maybe run the install without the extra gpu and try install the gpu after.

Could you please update the initial post on this thread with this nice summary and any other updates? it really helps others like me that are trying to find the right way to get this working :D

Thanks!

I had a bit of struggle getting High Sierra to install on the 7010, apparently to small EFI partition coming from Windows (you need at bare minimun 200mb) I don´t know if i solved the issue the right way.

My method was to clean the drive using diskpart then convert to GPT. "Create partition primary" then shrink it (i used 400mb) and then "create partition EFI". The installer works and you can proceed installing High Sierra. The problems is the next step when your in MacOS the first time and want to install Clover (standalone or via Multibeast) your EFI partition is in NTFS and you can´t use that for clover boot loader. And you get an error trying either way. I found a old post on how to via terminal in macOS format the the EFI partition to fat32. Here are the part i´m uncertain about, mixing format might not be optimal... But it works. And you can proceed installing Clover after the format. But you have to do this standalone the first time (i did it via Clover configurator) Then you can use multibeast.

I dowloaded the DSDT and kext-pack for Dell optiplex 9010 (same machine Sandy bridge instead of Ivy bridge) googled all kext and tried to find High Sierra working ones, or at least Sierra. Skipped a few that seemed obsolete and used kextbeast, then repaired permission via latest kext utility (approved on Sierra) I used the original kext for audio (2.8 Voodoo) and a support kext for that from the 9010 folder.

The DSDT and SSDT from that folder won't work out of the box, in fact it shut down the boot in matters of seconds if i put them in EFI clover folder. Someone should probably edit them for more recent macOS...

Sleep won't work, there seems to be new powermanagement.kex (nov 2017) and i will try that later this day. Haven't tried imessage yet, one thing at the time.

I will try to update this post with links to my sources later on.

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF
i7 3770s
8GB ram
GTX 1050ti

I tried the recommended "iMac 13,2" but it won't let me boot. 14,2 works out of the box (Haswell).

Where do I find the DSDT and kext-pack for the Dell Optiplex 9010. I just fineshed my build but am having issues booting when I have my Bios setup to use both cores.

@16tjbaker, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Thank you so much for this. I was having trouble enabling USB3 on my Optiplex 7010 and RehabMan's guide didn't seem to work for me (not showing XHC) - this cleared things up and I'm 100% functional now.
Hi davidandru.
I have a similar build to you. Except it is a Optiplex 9010 with same CPU. Just wondering how you got your HD4000 to be fully functional with QE/CI and correct VRAM showing?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back