Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 3020/7020/9020 High Sierra Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me back up - I followed the guide and was able to install Mojave and boot to it from the USB drive. Right now I'm trying to fix the VRAM issue that others have, and also configure clover for the internal SSD.

When turning on device w/o USB I choose "boot macOS from SSD" , it shows loading bar w/ apple logo, but freezes about 2/3 through (or 1/2 through after copying your EFI).

If I choose Filevault, it freezes on loading bar at a bit less than 1/2
If I choose Boot MacOS Install prebooter from preboot, it shows circle w/ line through it

I never ran these 2 successfully

Nevermind - this part is fixed now. I got it booting fine after putting in a fake ID, but then changed it again to fix 4MB of VRAM problem.

I changed my clover configuration according to this comment I found elsewhere and now am getting 1536 MB VRAM and no more screen tearing:

HD4600 does not require FakeID.
0xa260006 is for laptops. Desktops use 0x0d220003.
No need for patched AppleGraphicsControl.kext.
Nvidia + Intel graphics: Intel must be primary
-ncpi does nothing and you don't need ncpi either.

Desktop HD4600 requirements:
- config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true
- config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x0d220003
- config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0
- BIOS DVMT-prealloc 64mb
- digital connection to your monitor (VGA not supported)
- VT-d disabled or use dart=0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit2:

Is there a way to confirm that multibeast installed drivers correctly? My sound doesn't work either. How do I check for Apple ALC?

Last edited:
Let me back up - I followed the guide and was able to install Mojave and boot to it from the USB drive. Right now I'm trying to fix the VRAM issue that others have, and also configure clover for the internal SSD.

When turning on device w/o USB I choose "boot macOS from SSD" , it shows loading bar w/ apple logo, but freezes about 2/3 through (or 1/2 through after copying your EFI).

If I choose Filevault, it freezes on loading bar at a bit less than 1/2
If I choose Boot MacOS Install prebooter from preboot, it shows circle w/ line through it

I never ran these 2 successfully
I started to ask a question but see you have it solved... sound works with the EFI I sent. I didn't use multibeast but added the kext by using EFI Mounter v3 and pasting the kext in...

Last edited:
To Do

On my 7020, the USB3 ports don't work correctly with USB3 drives. I have the reboot on wake from sleep issue still to solve.

I have been testing my 9020SFF coming out of sleep mode... It seems that the computer will go to sleep and when I try to get it to start again I see the power switch light go solid and the hard drive light comes on as if it is waking normally but the screen never comes back on. I have found that if I cycle the power switch on my monitor the login screen is there and I can log in normally. Anyone have an idea how to wake the monitor?

Purchased 9020 when it was 45% discount. Today I set up following this instruction, Audio, display, USB, bluetooth (for Apple keyboard and touchpad) are working great. Only issue is that can't wake up sleeping like many have. Thanks a lot!

resolved wake up issue: Enable Legacy Option ROMs in the BIOS and change darkwake=no

Last edited:
@andey21

Do you mind posting your step to install ? also do you use EFI or legacy BIOS ? and maybe also your EFI folder ?

Thank You

Last edited:
@ mrslk
I exatlly fowlloed the steps. I used EFI.

Is there a way to confirm that multibeast installed drivers correctly? My sound doesn't work either. How do I check for Apple ALC?

Did you inject the value 13 under Devices<Audio in clover configurator? This will enable audio for the 3020/7020/9020

@ mrslk
I exatlly fowlloed the steps. I used EFI.
Can you please post your EFI folder ? For some weird reason, i just can't seem to get the Intel 4600 to go above 4MB

Thank You

@mrslk
My spec:
Dell optiplex 9020 i5-4570;
HDD: Samsung SSD 250GB;
Monitor: Dell S2419HM (Displayport to HDMI, other connection may not work);
Memory: DDR3 20GB;
Keyboard: Apple Magic wireless keyboard (use bluetooth usb dongle);
Trackpad: Apple trackpad (use bluetooth usb dongle);

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.53.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.53.09 AM.png
    853.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.53.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.53.29 AM.png
    875.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.53.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.53.59 AM.png
    941.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.54.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.54.25 AM.png
    654.5 KB · Views: 152
I started to ask a question but see you have it solved... sound works with the EFI I sent. I didn't use multibeast but added the kext by using EFI Mounter v3 and pasting the kext in...

Thanks for the response. Where did you place the kext? I am using the EFI you sent and still no sound. I'm not seeing the AppleALC kext anywhere in there.

Sound does work when tested at the clover menu (output is named speakers).
In MacOS, my output choices are only 2: in-line or headphones. Makes me believe I have a driver issue.

Did you inject the value 13 under Devices<Audio in clover configurator? This will enable audio for the 3020/7020/9020

To the best of my knowledge, I did this (see attached)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    112.1 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back