Contribute
Register

Dell monitor 'blinks', HD 6870 (video inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used now HDMI to HDMI to boot without cache, from past experience it should blink (unless 'without cache' will make a difference. Ill put that to the test). it definitely blinked during POST, just like Dell's mDP to DP.
Here's a comparison between the blinks at POST, and the DVI to HDMI which has none:

That is normal behaviour. Does it blink when OS X is booted up?

That is normal behaviour. Does it blink when OS X is booted up?
It isn't normal behaviour because those 'blinks' don't show up when connected to DVI (the other video), and this isn't just a normal blank black screen during boot - it is a blink, because unlike when there's text, the black background during the blink color is as black as if the monitor wasn't on at all. This could mean something. I'll keep testing HDMI to HDMI with no cache.
(I need to reboot many times to make sure it doesn't blink, tried twice with no blink after OS X)
But for some reason I can't achieve max res with HDMI. weird, but it would be a problem only if it doesn't blink, otherwise it wouldn't matter

It isn't normal behaviour because those 'blinks' don't show up when connected to DVI (the other video), and this isn't just a normal blank black screen during boot - it is a blink, because unlike when there's text, the black background during the blink color is as black as if the monitor wasn't on at all. This could mean something. I'll keep testing HDMI to HDMI with no cache.
(I need to reboot many times to make sure it doesn't blink, tried twice with no blink after OS X)
But for some reason I can't achieve max res with HDMI. weird, but it would be a problem only if it doesn't blink, otherwise it wouldn't matter

Try another monitor. If the same happens on another monitor then its something to do with the GPU. Try the monitor that blinks on another computer if it blinks on another computer then it could be the monitor.

Try another monitor. If the same happens on another monitor then its something to do with the GPU. Try the monitor that blinks on another computer if it blinks on another computer then it could be the monitor.
I just got a blink with HDMI to HDMI, boot with no cache :/
It probably has to do with both the monitor & graphics card, because there are other experiencing those blinks on Windows with certain graphics cards (though my Windows runs great, thank god)

What do you think about a cheap GT710 for OS X only, which theoretically should drive a 4k display,
Does it mean that I'll be able to add a 1920x1080 HiDPI for my 1440p monitor?
My HD6870 doesn't support 4k, so I couldn't add a 1080p HiDPI, although I desperately wanted this option.
Will it run 1080 HiDPI at 60hz, although it doesn't have a DisplayPort and thereby was;t designed to handle 2160p 60Hz, so even if it's scaled down to 1440 mayhaps it couldn't be 60Hz ?

I just got a blink with HDMI to HDMI, boot with no cache :/
It probably has to do with both the monitor & graphics card, because there are other experiencing those blinks on Windows with certain graphics cards (though my Windows runs great, thank god)

What do you think about a cheap GT710 for OS X only, which theoretically should drive a 4k display,
Does it mean that I'll be able to add a 1920x1080 HiDPI for my 1440p monitor?
My HD6870 doesn't support 4k, so I couldn't add a 1080p HiDPI, although I desperately wanted this option.
Will it run 1080 HiDPI at 60hz, although it doesn't have a DisplayPort and thereby was;t designed to handle 2160p 60Hz, so even if it's scaled down to 1440 mayhaps it couldn't be 60Hz ?

Never used a GT710 do a forum search before buying. Are your adaptors Passive or Active adaptors? You could always get yourself a GTX760 its native and runs 3 monitors perfectly fine also supports 4k.

Never used a GT710 do a forum search before buying. Are your adaptors Passive or Active adaptors? You could always get yourself a GTX760 its native and runs 3 monitors perfectly fine also supports 4k.
mDP to DP is just the one that came with the monitor, so I have no idea about passive/active.
The DVI to HDMI was just sprawled somewhere in my house, so no idea either...
I know that adaptors are a headache in OS X, but it seems to be the only option I've got left before buying a graphics card. Maybe there's a way to make the adapter work at 1440p? because as you've seen in the video, it doesn't blink.
I'll check about some graphic cards in any case

mDP to DP is just the one that came with the monitor, so I have no idea about passive/active.
The DVI to HDMI was just sprawled somewhere in my house, so no idea either...
I know that adaptors are a headache in OS X, but it seems to be the only option I've got left before buying a graphics card. Maybe there's a way to make the adapter work at 1440p? because as you've seen in the video, it doesn't blink.
I'll check about some graphic cards in any case

Im out of ideas I'm afraid. But i do know i won't be buying a ATI card which has mDP as its been a headache for me.

Im out of ideas I'm afraid. But i do know i won't be buying a ATI card which has mDP as its been a headache for me.
Thanks for helping and sticking around though :)
I'll look for a basic new graphics card to add to my PC for OS X only purposes

Thanks for helping and sticking around though :)
I'll look for a basic new graphics card to add to my PC for OS X only purposes

Try with another GPU is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back