Contribute
Register

Dell Latitude E6540 - Everything works perfectly, except wifi, keyboard and touchpad. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. eMac
  5. iBook
  6. iMac
  7. LC
  8. Performa
  9. Plus
  10. Portable
  11. Power Mac
  12. PowerBook
  13. Quadra
  14. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My new Dell Latitude E6540, a beautiful little laptop, is capable of running macOS 11 Big Sur perfectly, subject to three caveats. I've tried repeatedly to get the wifi, keyboard and touchpad to work, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I've switched out the original Intel wireless card and have tried various other cards, including the one that currently powers my HP ProBook 4540s (perfectly), but to no avail.

I have two Azurewave AW-CB160H BCM94360HMB 1300 Mbps WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 802.11ac cards sitting on the side, but I'm reluctant to try to install them given the extra physical work and use of adapters required (I failed with the first set of teenie, weenie adapters and so am concerned about hurting either the laptop or the wireless card itself).

In addition to the wireless problem, when it comes to both the keyboard and touchpad, I'm not able to ascertain the real manufacturer of either. The Dell site only identifies the keyboard as a Dell-manufactured keyboard with the Dell part number. There's absolutely no information on the touchpad whatsoever.

Given the above, here's what I'd like to be able to do: get some advice related specifically to the problems I'm experiencing with this laptop running Big Sur.

Here's the system specs:

Dell Latitude E6540
BIOS: A15
Date of Laptop Manufacture: 10/24/2015
Intel Core i7-4610M Processor running at 3.00 GHz
8 GB of DDR3L SDRAM, Dual Interleave
Intel HD 4600 Graphics (Video Bios: 2178v.15; 15.6" FHD; 1920 x 1080 resolution)
Audio Controller: Realtek ALC 3226
Broadcom Wireless: Dell DW 1520, BCM943224HMS (BCM4322) Wireless AGN Half Mini PCI-E WiFi Card
480 GB Crucial BX500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
Keyboard: Dell part (otherwise unknown)
Touchpad: No clue who the manufacturer is

I've also attached the current EFI files. Install was created using OC (either version 0.6.0 or 0.6.1, not sure which).

Any light you can shed on my remaining problems would very, very, very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Butch

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 358
My new Dell Latitude E6540, a beautiful little laptop, is capable of running macOS 11 Big Sur perfectly, subject to three caveats. I've tried repeatedly to get the wifi, keyboard and touchpad to work, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I've switched out the original Intel wireless card and have tried various other cards, including the one that currently powers my HP ProBook 4540s (perfectly), but to no avail.

I have two Azurewave AW-CB160H BCM94360HMB 1300 Mbps WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 802.11ac cards sitting on the side, but I'm reluctant to try to install them given the extra physical work and use of adapters required (I failed with the first set of teenie, weenie adapters and so am concerned about hurting either the laptop or the wireless card itself).

In addition to the wireless problem, when it comes to both the keyboard and touchpad, I'm not able to ascertain the real manufacturer of either. The Dell site only identifies the keyboard as a Dell-manufactured keyboard with the Dell part number. There's absolutely no information on the touchpad whatsoever.

Given the above, here's what I'd like to be able to do: get some advice related specifically to the problems I'm experiencing with this laptop running Big Sur.

Here's the system specs:

Dell Latitude E6540
BIOS: A15
Date of Laptop Manufacture: 10/24/2015
Intel Core i7-4610M Processor running at 3.00 GHz
8 GB of DDR3L SDRAM, Dual Interleave
Intel HD 4600 Graphics (Video Bios: 2178v.15; 15.6" FHD; 1920 x 1080 resolution)
Audio Controller: Realtek ALC 3226
Broadcom Wireless: Dell DW 1520, BCM943224HMS (BCM4322) Wireless AGN Half Mini PCI-E WiFi Card
480 GB Crucial BX500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
Keyboard: Dell part (otherwise unknown)
Touchpad: No clue who the manufacturer is

I've also attached the current EFI files. Install was created using OC (either version 0.6.0 or 0.6.1, not sure which).

Any light you can shed on my remaining problems would very, very, very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Butch
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

should be removed:
FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
RtWlanU.kext
RtWlanU1827.kext

you seem to have both:
USBPorts.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

make sure usbports.kext is correct and remove USBInjectAll.kext

and then you can disable:
XhciPortLimit

missing:
AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmPatchRAM kexts

DSDT.aml should not be used in OpenCore

not sure why you have disabled VoodooPS2Controller.kexts in your config.plist for?

you may have VoodooI2C:

Thanks! Appreciate all the help. I'll try all of the above out over the next several days and then repost if there's still problems. Otherwise, if not, just let me say, again, thanks, thanks, thanks.

Touchpad is ALPS.
try my clover(already smbios edited as your info) or Please refer to
big sur E6540.png

all working..
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.43.09 PM.png

Attachments

• VoodooPS2Controller-Alps.kext.zip
    100.6 KB · Views: 181
  • EFI.zip
    8 MB · Views: 325
Last edited:
I have the same wifi card (dell DW1520) and it is working well for me.
The solution for me was to remove AirPortBrcm360_Injector.kext from the AirportBrcmFixup.kext plugins.
Than all you will need is the AirportBrcmFixup.kext in your kext folder.

Touchpad is ALPS.
View attachment 496032

all working..
View attachment 496033

God bless you ryulove3!! You have saved my sanity!!! Everything works great! .... except the trackpad. That still doesn't work. Is there any reason why the keyboard work so well, but the trackpad wouldn't?

If I can just get this one last item to work, I'm in heaven.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help. You're a true mensch!

God bless you ryulove3!! You have saved my sanity!!! Everything works great! .... except the trackpad. That still doesn't work. Is there any reason why the keyboard work so well, but the trackpad wouldn't?

If I can just get this one last item to work, I'm in heaven.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help. You're a true mensch!
Is it possible that because the VoodooPS2Controller.kext is labelled "VoodooPS2Controller-Alps.kext" that somehow that's preventing the trackpad from recognizing it as a VoodooPS2Controller.kext?

Just a thought ....

Is it possible that because the VoodooPS2Controller.kext is labelled "VoodooPS2Controller-Alps.kext" that somehow that's preventing the trackpad from recognizing it as a VoodooPS2Controller.kext?

Just a thought ....
Delete 'usbports.kext' and restart (don't add any other kext)
compared to 'before' & 'after (may be 'web cam no working but trackpad'll be working)

you must do 'usb remapping' with hackintoshtool

Last edited:
try this

working keyboard& trackpad
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 12.51.24 AM.png

All usb ports is working with web cam, bluetooth. full speed 3.0
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 12.51.31 AM.png

If you have problems, don't update 'SMCDellSensors.kext'

Attachments

• kext.zip
    96 KB · Views: 113
Touchpad is ALPS.

all working..
Hi! Thanks for sharing. But i using this EFI and stop when installing.
Do you have any ideas for this?

z2195152897489_df354ee142de1aa22be8bdf8f6d2bc28.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back