Contribute
Register

Dell Latitude E6420 10.11.4 Only Boots with cpus=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a fresh install.

Same issue with a fresh install. There's a thread on OSX Latitude saying that they didn't have this problem until an update called "OS X El Capitan Recovery 1.0" was installed. Could just be coincidence though.

Same issue with a fresh install.

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Ok, here are the requested items. I did this from my new clean install without any additional kexts installed. I also attached my clover folder again for completion. There was also no output from rebuilding the kext cache.

Attachments

• Jason IOReg.zip
    389.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Jason kextstat.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Jason CLOVER.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 74
Ok, here are the requested items. I did this from my new clean install without any additional kexts installed. I also attached my clover folder again for completion. There was also no output from rebuilding the kext cache.

All kexts should be installed to /S/L/E.

DropOem=true is not valid without native CPU SSDTs in ACPI/patched unless you also provide replacements with config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate=true.

(also note you are dropping CPU related SSDTs with DropTables)...

If you can use native CPU related SSDTs, it is best. Only drop them (and use replacements) if they cause a problem.

I've tried all suggested mods to no avail.
sometimes it will boot normally without having to enter the CPUS=1 command at boot up works about 25% of the time.

I suspect its a CPU Caching issue. Something has changed in 10.11.4 on how it caches things in the CPU..

the i5-4300m processor is a Dual core processor with 2 threads per core (4 virtual CPU's), the Kernel panic always references cpu 1,2 or 3 never cpu 0.. i suspect when it is reading cache from CPU 0 it boots normally but for some reason, when it attempts to access the cache associated with CPU 1, 2 or 3 it creates the KP as it can not find the referenced addresses.

I have not verified all cores are active during a normal boot without CPUS=1 command. Using the CPUS=1 command forces it to use only the 1 core of the processor (1 thread). so it will always boot OK but it limits the cores after the OS has booted. essentially you are only using 25% of the CPU.

Only certain processors would be affected. Could also be a SMBIOS issue (just thought of that)

I've tried all suggested mods to no avail.
sometimes it will boot normally without having to enter the CPUS=1 command at boot up works about 25% of the time.

I suspect its a CPU Caching issue. Something has changed in 10.11.4 on how it caches things in the CPU..

the i5-4300m processor is a Dual core processor with 2 threads per core (4 virtual CPU's), the Kernel panic always references cpu 1,2 or 3 never cpu 0.. i suspect when it is reading cache from CPU 0 it boots normally but for some reason, when it attempts to access the cache associated with CPU 1, 2 or 3 it creates the KP as it can not find the referenced addresses.

I have not verified all cores are active during a normal boot without CPUS=1 command. Using the CPUS=1 command forces it to use only the 1 core of the processor (1 thread). so it will always boot OK but it limits the cores after the OS has booted. essentially you are only using 25% of the CPU.

Only certain processors would be affected. Could also be a SMBIOS issue (just thought of that)

I don't have any such problem with similar hardware (i7-4500u). I'm using native CPU SSDTs + SSDT.aml generated from ssdtPRgen.sh and appropriate SMBIOS (MacBookAir6,2).

yes my SMBIOS is setup in clover as

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
<string>05/24/13</string>
<key>BiosVendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>MBA61.88Z.0099.B04.1305241529</string>
<key>Board-ID</key>
<string>Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5</string>
<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
<key>BoardType</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
<string>Air-Enclosure</string>
<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
<key>ChassisType</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>Family</key>
<string>MacBook Air</string>
<key>Manufacturer</key>
<key>Mobile</key>
<true/>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacBookAir6,2</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>CK252E3ZF5V8</string>
<key>Trust</key>
<false/>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Whilst it detects the CPU as a Core i5 it thinks it is a 2.49mhz processor when it is actually a 2.9mhz processor. The i5-4300m is not natively supported by OSX so we have to spoof its Identity.. Maybe in .4 Apple tightened the constraints on the Processors to address sections of a i5 that OSX natively supports, whereas those memory registers would not exist or are different in the i5-4300m or the i5 processor on the E6420.. I have an e6420 hackintosh running el cap 10.11.1 (have not updated since i got the E7440 running)

Like i said not all CPU's would be affected. only certain non native CPU's would have this issue.
If only there is a way to prove my hypothesis.

yes my SMBIOS is setup in clover as

Generally, SMBIOS/Trust should be set true.

Whilst it detects the CPU as a Core i5 it thinks it is a 2.49mhz processor when it is actually a 2.9mhz processor.

According to Intel, the base frequency is 2.6Ghz.

See here: http://ark.intel.com/products/76347/Intel-Core-i5-4300M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

I use config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz=1800 to fix the cosmetics on my u430.

The i5-4300m is not natively supported by OSX so we have to spoof its Identity..

Apple doesn't use the i7-4500u either.

Maybe in .4 Apple tightened the constraints on the Processors to address sections of a i5 that OSX natively supports, whereas those memory registers would not exist or are different

So far, I see no evidence supporting this.

I think your issue is likely one of ACPI configuration or the kexts you're using.

Ok, after some discussions on another forum it has been determined that the problem is a modified VoodooPS2Controller.kext that has been modified to work with the ALPS touchpad that comes with these particular models of Dell Latitude laptops.

Replacing that kext with the latest version allows it to boot without a KP but then the touchpad won't work. That can at least be worked around with a mouse.

I now have a different issue though. Now if I start it without cpus=1 it hibernates during boot after it completes the first part of the booting progress bar.

Ok, after some discussions on another forum it has been determined that the problem is a modified VoodooPS2Controller.kext that has been modified to work with the ALPS touchpad that comes with these particular models of Dell Latitude laptops.

Replacing that kext with the latest version allows it to boot without a KP but then the touchpad won't work. That can at least be worked around with a mouse.

I now have a different issue though. Now if I start it without cpus=1 it hibernates during boot after it completes the first part of the booting progress bar.

Why are you using cpus=1. Use KernelLapic=true instead. Also, with your hardware may need the alternate DropTables.

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back