Contribute
Register

Dell Latitude 5480 - Sonoma 14.3.1 - iMessage does not work with WiFi airportitlm 2.3.0 (only works with itlm/Heliport)

Motherboard
Z790 > Need make and full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i9-14900K
Graphics
RX 6600
Hello,
Running a Dell Latitude 5480 and managed to install Sonoma 14.3.1. Everything works perfectly except for two issues:

1) Audio from the main speakers (will post separately)

2) When connected to WiFi.... iMessage ONLY works with itlm/Heliport. I do not want this. I WANT to use iMessage with Airportitlm, because the native WiFi also enables Airplay/Aidrop. Unfortunately right now, iMessage will not work with Airportitlm.

I've tried generating new SMBios and deregister/reregister the machine with iCloud, but no success. As soon as I plug in the network cable and/or switch over to itlm/Heliport, the imessage system starts working flawlessly.

So the question: how do I fix/patch Airportitlm so iMessage is functional? Attached is my kext list (note that itlm is toggled off).

1711894889250.png

(FYI... I haven't seen any other posts about success with this laptop & Sonoma 14.3.1, so happy to help/guide others to get as far as I've gotten!)

Last edited:
Hello,
Running a Dell Latitude 5480 and managed to install Sonoma 14.3.1. Everything works perfectly except for two issues:

1) Audio from the main speakers (will post separately)

2) When connected to WiFi.... iMessage ONLY works with itlm/Heliport. I do not want this. I WANT to use iMessage with Airportitlm, because the native WiFi also enables Airplay/Aidrop. Unfortunately right now, iMessage will not work with Airportitlm.

I've tried generating new SMBios and deregister/reregister the machine with iCloud, but no success. As soon as I plug in the network cable and/or switch over to itlm/Heliport, the imessage system starts working flawlessly.

So the question: how do I fix/patch Airportitlm so iMessage is functional? Attached is my kext list (note that itlm is toggled off).

View attachment 580734

(FYI... I haven't seen any other posts about success with this laptop & Sonoma 14.3.1, so happy to help/guide others to get as far as I've gotten!)
there is a thread here with the same issue as you are having:

Thanks. Yes - that is 100% the exact same issue.

I did a clean install straight to Sonoma 14.3.1 (didn't do 14.4 because I read that there are issues with non-metal systems).

Edit: confirmed that SIP is and has been disabled. So..... dead-end I guess, I'll post on that thread. Thank you for sharing.

Edit #2: I updated from 14.3.1 to 14.4.1 and this did not resolve the iMessage issue. Still only works with itlm/Heliport.

Last edited:
On my xps13 wifi intel7260 this works if you want to try

Attachments

• AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 6
It must be a kext from prior to 14.4 because it causes the machine to freeze (known issue).
I'll have to try and revert back to 14.3 to see if your kext will solve the iMessage problem.

Just curious - is this a modified kext that you shared?

I'm using it with 14.2.1 , I tried und at 14.4 but it slows down too much and I went back

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 alle 19.00.06.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 alle 19.00.06.png
    1,001 KB · Views: 1
I haven't reverted yet... may not get to that until tomorrow.
But are you saying that this resolved the iMessage problem for you on 14.4 (airportitlm)? Only issue was that it was slow?

I don't remember if it worked on 14.4 when I saw how the system slowed down I went back to 14.2

I was able to revert back to Sonoma 14.3, and test your airportitlm-sonoma kext. Same issue: no iMessage service works when that kext is in use. Yes, I made sure to disable the regular itlm.kext when I performed the test.

I don't think there is a solution to this problem (yet). Unless there is some way to patch it?

If there was a way to get airplay working with regular itlm.kext/Heliport, then that would be a useful workaround, but I think that's also a known limitation because airplay requires the native WiFi.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion. I hope someone can help us figure this out!

insert on airport kext, info plist/ IOPCIMAatch your id/vendor

Back