Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron R14 (N4110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello again guys..
i want to update some news here..
i already bought the SL retail version 10.6.3, i already make my way through the installation screen and sometimes the kernel panic screen bugging me and force me to do restart, but, somewhat i can install it on my hard drive. but the problem start here. when i try to install combo update 10.6.7, the kernel panic screen interrupt me again and i forced to do restart again.
i dont know how can i get rid of that kernel panic screen that forced me to restart and i feel hopeless because i must do every single thing right from the very start.
please help me...
you guys already have a perfect install on your Dell Inspiron 14R right?
need yout tutor here..

here my progress until now.
1) i can dual boot snow leopard and windows 7. but, in order to boot into SL, i need iBoot ( i still cannot booting normally from the hard drive).
2) the SL i installed still very ugly. there are many drivers that couldn't detected by the system, ex: graphic, keyboard, webcam,etc. overall, it is not a complete or even perfect install SL in my laptop, but i already know how to install it by the way.

still need update from you guys..
thanks

I don't know about anybody else, but as I wrote in a previous post, I have only gone from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6. I have NOT been successful updating to 10.6.7 or 10.6.8. And I've only gotten the basic resolution (1024x768) with any 10.6 system (not unexpected).

BUT I have have been able to update from 10.6.6 to 10.7.1 (Lion) using the xmove/multibeast method. See my previous post. This is working out pretty nicely. Not perfect yet, but very usable (1366x768). I'll try to write something up when I have more time.

Sorry I can't be more help with 10.6.7 or 10.6.8

ludh said:
here my progress until now.
1) i can dual boot snow leopard and windows 7. but, in order to boot into SL, i need iBoot ( i still cannot booting normally from the hard drive).

I mentioned this in a earlier post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=205436#p205436
There were two issues for me
1 - my N4110 will only boot from a MBR formatted drive
2 - chameleon/chimera has trouble installing boot1h into the partition on my particular hard disk and I had to install it manually in single user mode

Search the forums in this site and you'll learn how to deal with both issues (experienced by other users with other machines). If I have time, I'll try to write something up, but am crunched for time for the next couple of weeks.

Any luck with Lion on this ?

I was able to install SL 10.6.6 using combo update & beyond it, it won't boot. I prepared a Lion installation using xMove on 10.6.6. Lion installation will not boot.

siddharthmenon said:

I was able to install SL 10.6.6 using combo update & beyond it, it won't boot. I prepared a Lion installation using xMove on 10.6.6. Lion installation will not boot.

Yes, I've got Lion installed and am very pleased with it. With the right kexts, everything works except internal wireless, but I have a wireless usb dongle that works well and use that until I can get a compatible card. USB3.0 kinda works, but is having some issues, so I removed the kext for that.

webcam, bluetooth & multimedia card reader work out of the box.
wired ethernet, keyboard/touchpad, audio, battery moniter, sleep, require kexts.
hd3000 graphics working with QE/CI as long as system is identified as MacBook Pro 8,1

I haven't tried making a custom dsdt. I might try my hand at that, but this is working pretty well as it is.

I'll try to write up a guide early next week.

(added)
just checked hdmi output last night - video works at 1080p!
vga out and hdmi audio out don't work yet.

notywtr said:
siddharthmenon said:

Yes, I've got Lion installed and am very pleased with it. With the right kexts, everything works except internal wireless, but I have a wireless usb dongle that works well and use that until I can get a compatible card. USB3.0 kinda works, but is having some issues, so I removed the kext for that.

webcam, bluetooth & multimedia card reader work out of the box.
wired ethernet, keyboard/touchpad, audio, battery moniter, sleep, require kexts.
hd3000 graphics working with QE/CI as long as system is identified as MacBook Pro 8,1

I haven't tried making a custom dsdt. I might try my hand at that, but this is working pretty well as it is.

I'll try to write up a guide early next week.

(added)
just checked hdmi output last night - video works at 1080p!
vga out and hdmi audio out don't work yet.

Hi, Really looking forward for you guide and Kexts that you used

still looking forward your full guide installation on 14R Mr.notywtr ...
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back