Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 7793 (1065G7) Big Sur & Catalina install and startup (OC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 3793
CPU
I7 1065
Graphics
G7
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After spending a long time to make Catalina work on this Laptop,
I made Big Sur installer to boot on an USB stick,as well as with the final final partition with the same EFI.

the method of choice to build your booting USB stick, once done put my EFI

But i used the standard create install media method just under, because I made many install and for me it's faster
and you don't need to have your installer and USB to have specific names and locations.

open terminal
write"sudo/space"
control+click on BigSur installer
search and open ressources,
search create install media,
drag it on the terminal window
write"dash/dash/volume/space"
on a finder window, shift+alt+g,
write "slash/volumes"
find your usb stick and drag it on the terminal window (you can plug it after the window is open it will show)
now your password, then "y"
if it didn't work , you probably forget a space (required when you type, not when you drag)

as there is no activity led I put my install time,
my install just freeze once I forget to disconnect the HDMI plug.

I use usb 3 sticks know, use the left USB port to get full speed (20 Min to build the BigSur Stick),
install has bonus dark screens and abrupt reset, don't forget to press f12 to choose your stick
40 seconds to reach the stick installer/disk utility
4minutes 30 for the first install ,16 minutes for the second with lots of strong fan blow,
the 18 min,20 min , finally 21minutes 30 to reach system setting greeted with voice over.
times should be longer with USB2 sticks and ports.

I don't use the internal wireless network card, I use an intel card.
Sleep and wake didn't work well, only once in five tries.
Sound works only on internal speakers.

That said that laptop works quite well after two weeks of use with Big Sur
hope it will help someone else

Attachments

• EFI Cata:Sur25 nov b.zip
    22.7 MB · Views: 469
Last edited:
After spending a long time to make Catalina work on this Laptop,
I made Big Sur installer to boot on an USB stick,as well as with the final final partition with the same EFI.

I don't use the internal wireless network card, I use an intel card.
Sleep and wake didn't work well, only once in five tries.
Sound works only on internal speakers.

That said that laptop works quite well after two weeks of use with Big Sur
hope it will help someone else
as you have created your one USBMap.kext, you can /should disable XhciPortLimit

thanks for your constant attention and patience, I really appreciate, I will do it just after eating.
Thanks again

i'm experiencing some sudden restarts , i think it happens only/mainly with safari, i'm switching to firefox now, and back to safari playing with the rtc quirked awac, trying to locate that trouble.
Someone is also experience that with this laptop?
I'm still using Catalina for my "serious" work (hopefully), I just try to do a little with Big Sur tonight with constant restarts, Logic & Reason.
So you can install Big Sur and Catalina with that EFI, but stay with Catalina to do your things and consider Big Sur as experimental.

Last edited:
I just saw this clip [LINKY] and it could (most likely) be you. Great job showing off what works.

I personally won't mind the lack of audio out (for now), but I'd personally want to see dual boot with Windows on this especially that it can do m.2 + sata ssd. And the dvd drive may (can?) also be swapped with sata ssd for further storage expansion.

Great work.

It’s not me, mine is 7793 (i7) the booter works for catalina and Big Sur, i use two partitions on the m2 ssd.
At work now, have a nice day

now on my morning break, i saw a bit more, that guy linked this thread to his you tube movie.
Yes he show things, but the movie is too long, and it's mainly showing games , nothing bad with that, but not my dope.

That's funny , but he really had wake and sleep working ?
I don't really have it with the Last EFI here, to get it i should restart 4/5 times to reach it, once i got it,
i got it.

The EFI i use now had it but i didn't put it here, because it's a mess, i'm still working on it.

So if someone come from that you tube link, first like me ;) and choose to watch that thread, i will post the better EFI in the next few days, have a nice day, i'm going back to the laboratory now.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. I thought it was you. :crazy:

Now I'm a bit torn if i should do this or the Latitude device that i've been looking at. I kinda like the Latitude because of the hardware build quality, but on this one the cpu's are the fastest on this class and MacOS officially supported them via during the latest Macbook Air and Pro release.

Nice work though.

Don’t be sorry his link point to my thread he probably use and edited my EFI,
i can’t help you much for your buying dilemna, if i had to buy now, i will probably not go to a 10th, my acer kabylake is slower the screen is not great,but power management is way better ,hdmi works and it’s slower it’s no by so much.And I can’t seriously work with the battery with that Dell now, it could be better with some work, or not.
Comet lake seems better supported right now, As the Aztec one, think well, and good evening

Yeah, thanks.

I have been playing with it's older version Inspiron 15 5547 (Haswell) [Dell Inspiron 15" 5547] via OpenCore (Mojave) for the past few months. So far, so good. So I just pulled the trigger on the 15" version of your laptop. I think it's this one (Ice Lake) [Inspiron 15” 3593], mainly because of better cpu and gpu support + dual boot with windows is pretty easy. That way down time use with the device is not that much affected while optimizing the Hackintosh side.

I really thought about going through with the Latitude (Comet Lake) [Latitude 13” 5310], but putting two ssd's on it (which I really need) is a bit messy and the wifi card was soldered. And documentation of other's who tried hackintoshing it so far is still sketchy. So, no go.

Anyway, thanks again. Hoping to start compiling the ssdt's and gathering all the kexts on this new one as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back