Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-WS
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
So, I'm able to get into the installer quite fine for macOS Sierra. However, when I open Disk Utility, it shows that only the installer USB is detected. I've tried all the SATA ports and it still won't show up. I know for sure that this system is capable of running OS X because there are posts claiming that it has worked for them. I've looked in the BIOS, and there aren't any settings that I can change that make a difference. Additionally, the BIOS is up to date to the latest version as well. And for those wondering, yes, I know, I have a GT 710 for the graphics because the Intel processor doesn't have HD 3000 or better. But even without the GPU, the issue is still the same.

Dell Inspiron 620 Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 2310
Motherboard: Dell MIH61R ?

Last edited:
So, I'm able to get into the installer quite fine for macOS Sierra. However, when I open Disk Utility, it shows that only the installer USB is detected. I've tried all the SATA ports and it still won't show up. I know for sure that this system is capable of running OS X because there are posts claiming that it has worked for them. I've looked in the BIOS, and there aren't any settings that I can change that make a difference. Additionally, the BIOS is up to date to the latest version as well. And for those wondering, yes, I know, I have a GT 710 for the graphics because the Intel processor doesn't have HD 3000 or better. But even without the GPU, the issue is still the same.

Is the SATA mode set to AHCI already?

@Injury, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have multiple systems add them to your signature or build signature.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

@Injury, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have multiple systems add them to your signature or build signature.
Would it be alright if I add the specs of the system to the main post instead?

I managed to get the system to run Sierra off of a separate USB drive, but not a SATA drive. If there is a solution that works for SATA drives for this system, please post in detail.

What flags/settings did you use to get into sierra?
I've tried everything but all I end up with is a row of +++++++++++++++ followed by a reboot.
I don't think I used any. What bootflags are you using?

I managed to get the system to run Sierra off of a separate USB drive, but not a SATA drive. If there is a solution that works for SATA drives for this system, please post in detail.
One way and probably the easiest is to copy the EFI folder of your USB installer drive to the desktop, now mount the EFI partition of your hard drive, find and delete the EFI folder that is currently on the hard drive and replace it with the one you copied from the USB drive.

One way and probably the easiest is to copy the EFI folder of your USB installer drive to the desktop, now mount the EFI partition of your hard drive, find and delete the EFI folder that is currently on the hard drive and replace it with the one you copied from the USB drive.
I'll give it a shot and post results. Thank you.

edit: I'm waiting on a GPU so I can test the system again. I returned the GT 710 because it wouldn't work for a different system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back