Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 7050MT
CPU
I7-7700
Graphics
HD630
I'm trying to install Big Sur or Monterey on a Dell 7050 MT with an I7 7700 chip in it. So, I have a Kaby Lake processor in what is often a Skylake system. I've tried using an OC_Gen-X created EFI as well as the one from a guide here on Tonymac. I've tried with two different downloads of the Big Sur installer and a download of the Monterey installer. I always fail when booting the USB installer for the first time with the last line reading:

Please go to https://panic.apple.com to report this panic

Some earlier lines about the panic include

userspace panic: boot task failure: restore-datapartition - exited due to exit(70) @kern_shutdown.c:159

Panic diags file unavailable, panic occurred prior to initialization

My most recent EFI was based on the one from this thread but I tried to change all relevant Skylake settings to Kabylake.
I also tried setting the system date to 2019.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• bad_EFI.zip
    25.8 MB · Views: 27
I'm trying to install Big Sur or Monterey on a Dell 7050 MT with an I7 7700 chip in it. So, I have a Kaby Lake processor in what is often a Skylake system. I've tried using an OC_Gen-X created EFI as well as the one from a guide here on Tonymac. I've tried with two different downloads of the Big Sur installer and a download of the Monterey installer. I always fail when booting the USB installer for the first time with the last line reading:

Some earlier lines about the panic include

My most recent EFI was based on the one from this thread but I tried to change all relevant Skylake settings to Kabylake.
I also tried setting the system date to 2019.

Any suggestions?
you have a lot of find and replace entries in there for some reason

not sure how changing your date to 2019 is relevant

probably best to download new fresh updated opencore and make the needed changes for kabylake

The EFI that I uploaded was based on the EFI uploaded in the thread I linked to. It was for the 7050 so figured that a lot of things were already sorted out in it. But I had the same issue with a more vanilla OpenCore as well.

I think this may be an issue with USB port assignment. I get what appear to be 15 distinct errors about 'createdevice failed to create' just a little while before the panic. I've tried this USB in all the type A ports on the machine and none of them will boot through without error.

The EFI that I uploaded was based on the EFI uploaded in the thread I linked to. It was for the 7050 so figured that a lot of things were already sorted out in it. But I had the same issue with a more vanilla OpenCore as well.

I think this may be an issue with USB port assignment. I get what appear to be 15 distinct errors about 'createdevice failed to create' just a little while before the panic. I've tried this USB in all the type A ports on the machine and none of them will boot through without error.
that EFI has not got the proper USB setup correctly, Monterey also requires a newer version of OpenCore

Hmm. It seems that the XhciPortLimit is broken in newer versions of Big Sur and Monterey and it will prohibit booting from a USB3 stick. It seems that I can either install Catalina (and then create a USB map) or try to install Monterey by disabling XhciPortLimit and perhaps even using a USB2.0 stick.

Hmm. It seems that the XhciPortLimit is broken in newer versions of Big Sur and Monterey and it will prohibit booting from a USB3 stick. It seems that I can either install Catalina (and then create a USB map) or try to install Monterey by disabling XhciPortLimit and perhaps even using a USB2.0 stick.
yes, as mentioned above, best to install Catalina first and be able to enable XhciPortLimit and then setup your usb ports properly and then upgrade

Pardon my opencore ignorance (I've been using clover for many years and new to OC), are there different OC configs for different versions of MacOS? I tried to use the generic OC EFI that I created using the dortana guide with the Catalina installer but it just boot loops right near the beginning.

Pardon my opencore ignorance (I've been using clover for many years and new to OC), are there different OC configs for different versions of MacOS? I tried to use the generic OC EFI that I created using the dortana guide with the Catalina installer but it just boot loops right near the beginning.
for kabylake:
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-laptop.plist/kaby-lake.html#starting-point
pay special attention to the APFS section in regards to installing Catalina

It seems that you linked to the laptop version of the install guide. Is there a specific reason for that?

I did find that I needed to disable securebootmodel in order to get past the boot loop which is sort of documented as an issue with older versions of MacOS. But there are still issues.
Thanks for your help.

It seems that you linked to the laptop version of the install guide. Is there a specific reason for that?

I did find that I needed to disable securebootmodel in order to get past the boot loop which is sort of documented as an issue with older versions of MacOS. But there are still issues.
Thanks for your help.
ha! sorry! was helping someone else with a kabylake laptop

try:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back