Contribute
Register

Dell 5K + Sierra + 960 GTX = only headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also had this problem.
My system is classic mac pro 5.1 2*xeon 2.66GHz , GTX970
5K is work perfectly on OSX El Capitan .
i just add these two command.
sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1 nv_spanmodepolicy=1"
but when i upgrade to OSX Sierra.
I got an error when use the command.
I try to use different way for the command.
I try this.
sudo nvram = nvda_drv=1 nv_spanmodepolicy=1
I re-checked by nvram -p command
and i got this

Last login: Mon Oct 17 00:24:57 on ttys000

Enforcer-WS:~ Enforcer-WS$ nvram -p

SystemAudioVolume @
kext-dev-mode 1
bluetoothInternalControllerInfo %15%82%ac%05%00%00%11Zx%ca9%c9%06%f3
nvda_drv 1
prev-lang:kbd en:0
SystemAudioVolumeDB %00
nv_spanmodepolicy 1
bluetoothActiveControllerInfo ..........

then i reboot the machine expecting 5K will works but it isn't work
The display still recognized as two separate displays
one is 2560x1440 and another is 2560x2880
I'm not the expert user.
I feel hopeless now.

Which error do you get when running the original command? You might need to disable SIP to write to the NVRAM (not 100% sure).

I got this error
nvram: Error getting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) data was not found
Already try disable SIP
and use original command
sudo nvram boot-args=XXXXXXXXXX it seems works by re-checked with nvram-p command
so i reboot the machine. but it doesn't work
i think OSX sierra not recognize this kind of boot flag anymore
even the nvidia web driver is not load by this kind of boot flag
so i try using another command like this (sudo nvram = XXXX XXXX) instead of (sudo nvram boot-args="xxxx xxxx")
now the nvidia web driver is loaded but 5K still not work.
:(:(:(:(

Instead of nvidia_drv = 1

Add this in Clover config.plist
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

It should do the same of the boot flag.

Instead of nvidia_drv = 1

Add this in Clover config.plist
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

It should do the same of the boot flag.

I didn't use clover because my system is original classic mac pro 5,1
Thanks

My setup is working, sierra 10.12.1 with UP2715k. What i had to do to get it to work was first to make sure the nvram was correct.

boot-args nv_spanmodepolicy=1 nvda_drv=1

Then in bios i turned CSM compatibility to On. (ASUS z97-A/usb3.1) i'm nut sure why this helped, but it did.

The only issue i have at the moment is when i log-in the left and right side of the monitor do not sync. I turn it off, wait for the second display to kick in (about 5 seconds) then turn the dell back on. Left and right are now in sync.

another trick you can try if you do not have a second monitor, is to unplug the second display port cable, (closest to the usb port)
with the cable unplugged, sierra boots normally, treating the monitor as 2560x1440. Once logged in plug in the second cable, and screen should jump to 5k.

Another problem i noticed is that the cursor gets all weird on the left side of the screen, (sometimes) in stead of a regular mouse pointer it turns into a vertical line. (like when your highlighting text) shutting monitor on and off, corrects this problem.

Otherwise all is good.

My setup is working, sierra 10.12.1 with UP2715k. What i had to do to get it to work was first to make sure the nvram was correct.

Then in bios i turned CSM compatibility to On. (ASUS z97-A/usb3.1) i'm nut sure why this helped, but it did.

The only issue i have at the moment is when i log-in the left and right side of the monitor do not sync. I turn it off, wait for the second display to kick in (about 5 seconds) then turn the dell back on. Left and right are now in sync.

another trick you can try if you do not have a second monitor, is to unplug the second display port cable, (closest to the usb port)
with the cable unplugged, sierra boots normally, treating the monitor as 2560x1440. Once logged in plug in the second cable, and screen should jump to 5k.

Another problem i noticed is that the cursor gets all weird on the left side of the screen, (sometimes) in stead of a regular mouse pointer it turns into a vertical line. (like when your highlighting text) shutting monitor on and off, corrects this problem.

Otherwise all is good.

What gpu are you using?

Is HiDPI working?

Otherwise all is good.

May i see your bootargs "nvram -p"

did you use original command
[sudo nvram boot-args="nv_spanmodepolicy=1 nvda_drv=1"]

or use new command like this
[sudo nvram = nvda_drv=1]
[sudo nvram = nv_spanmodepolicy=1]

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back