Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Heya's,

So I'm looking at a laptop for my mother, a MacBook Air is out of the question due to the the screens being too small and MacBook Pro's being too expensive. So this leaves me with the Hackintosh being the only reasonable option as OS X (Mountain Lion) is still preferred. At the moment I am looking at 2 options being the Dell 3537 and the HP 2d23TU.

Specifications that I could get are as follows:

Dell 3537 said:
CPU: Intel i5-4200U
GPU: Intel HD 4400
AUDIO: Realtek ALC3223*
NETWORK: Realtek LAN RTL8106E*
WIRELESS: Dell Wireless 1705
*Information pulled from Driver Support

HP 2d23TU said:
CPU: Intel i5-3230M
GPU: Intel HD 4000
AUDIO: Realtek High Definition Audio*
NETWORK: Realtek LAN Something*
WIRELESS: Ralink 2012 or Qualcomm Atheros AR9000 series or Realtek RTL8188EE*
*Information pulled from Driver Support

This is my first time doing a Hackintosh but I've done some trawling and have identified some potential problems being Audio, Network and Wireless. Audio and Wireless are important with Network being not so important. I know that I can replace the half-mini PCI-E Wireless with something else, an Atheros AR9280 seeming to be a potential pick from my trawl.

Both these laptops are around $700AUD and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these particular laptops, the parts in general or has another laptop of similar spec and price they know will work?

Thank-you for your time.

Heya's,

So I'm looking at a laptop for my mother, a MacBook Air is out of the question due to the the screens being too small and MacBook Pro's being too expensive. So this leaves me with the Hackintosh being the only reasonable option as OS X (Mountain Lion) is still preferred. At the moment I am looking at 2 options being the Dell 3537 and the HP 2d23TU.

Specifications that I could get are as follows:

This is my first time doing a Hackintosh but I've done some trawling and have identified some potential problems being Audio, Network and Wireless. Audio and Wireless are important with Network being not so important. I know that I can replace the half-mini PCI-E Wireless with something else, an Atheros AR9280 seeming to be a potential pick from my trawl.

Both these laptops are around $700AUD and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these particular laptops, the parts in general or has another laptop of similar spec and price they know will work?

Thank-you for your time.

Both will work, but you never know what trouble you'll come across until you try.

You will end up replacing the WiFi in either. You might want to determine if there is a BIOS whitelist implemented.

More compatibility info here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

The advisability of a hackintosh laptop for the non-technical is debateable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back