1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You need to look at the OpenCore Troubleshooting guides for fixing CFG Lock and setting DVMT pre-allocated. As a lot of Dell OptiPlex systems don't have these two options available in the bios. Which results in kernel panics when attempting to install macOS.

Here is a link to the CFG Lock Troubleshooting section: # Fixing CFG Lock

This Dell Specific guide for manually Turning Off CFG Lock is linked within the guide - https://github.com/dreamwhite/bios-extraction-guide/tree/master/Dell

I followed this Dell specific guide when hacking a pair of Dell OptiPlex 3050 systems (Kaby Lake) and it worked a treat.

This Bios Extraction guide is essential for any Dell OptiPlex system.

README.md - Unlock CFG Lock

Regarding setting DMVT to 128MB I use a patch that is added to the tools section of the config.plist. This is similar to the one I use for unlocking CFG. These two patches along with adding 'setup_var.efi' and 'ControlMsrE2.efi' to the /EFI/OC/Tools sub-folder allow me to Hack these two 3050 systems to run Ventura.

View attachment 567651 Tools Section of my Dell OptiPlex's config.plist

Without these patches and tools you will keep seeing early Kernel Panics on your system.

While the DVMT patch above will work with you system. The CFG Unlock patch won't, as your system bios will be using a different value to represent the CFG Lock feature. Once you find this value, using the Manual Unlock CFG Lock process linked above, you can simply replace the '0x4ED' section in the 'Arguments' line in the CFG Unlock patch for your system's value.

Before booting in to macOS you need to do the following, once you have the two patches etc. included in your config.plist.
  1. Boot to the OC boot screen/picker list.
  2. Press Spacebar to unhide the drivers and tools added to your config.plist.
  3. Select ControlMsrE2.efi and check the results, I expect it to say CFG is Locked.
  4. Press Return/Enter to return to the OC boot screen/picker list.
  5. Select the setup-var - CFGUnlock option, press Return/Enter.
  6. Select the setup-var - DVMT Pre-Allocated 128MB option, press Return/Enter
  7. The two patches will be applied to your Bios after you reboot the system. Do this before trying to boot in to macOS.
When you reboot to the OC boot screen/Picker List check to see what the ControlMsrE2.efi tool shows. This should say that CFG is unlocked, as shown in the screenshot below.

View attachment 567654 CFG UNLOCKED

Seeing that you are ready to boot in to the macOS Installer.
  1. The two patches are ClearNvramEntry.efi resilient, so don't need to be re-applied after a NVRAM reset.
  2. They are not Bios update resilient, and will need to be re-applied after a Bios update, before you boot macOS.
I have used these patches to re-apply these options after updating the bios on both systems recently, so both can run macOS Ventura.

I have attached a copy of the latest EFI I am using for one of my Dell OptiPlex 3050 SFF Kaby Lake systems. It should be similar to what you need to create. Use it as a base for setting up your Dell OptiPlex 3060 Hack.

I have removed the SMBIOS data I use, but left everything else as I use it. This EFI will boot macOS Catalina through to Ventura with no issues.

I am sure your USBPorts.kext will be different to mine, so you will probably be best served installing Catalina and then updating to Ventura, as you can easily undertake the USB ports discovery in Catalina, not so Ventura.

@Edhawk I am trying to hack a Dell 3060 SFF i5 8500/HD630 for a friend with a broken iMac and no money. I have followed your advice above. I first tried to install Mojave without success, but I got Catalina installed and booting. But: no graphics acceleration, 8MB VRAM. What can the matter be?
Your DVMT solution(setup-var - DVMT Pre-Allocated 128MB option) should also work for my 3060, or should I go hunt for the right variable offset as this is not a fixed value? Should I try another AAPL, ig-platform-id instead of 00001259?

Suggestions welcome, your help appreciated!

Should I try another AAPL, ig-platform-id instead of 00001259?
Yes, you need to use the Frambuffer for a Coffee Lake IGPU 07009B3E, not the Framebuffer for a Kaby Lake IGPU.

The DVMT patch should work as is with you system.

The CFG Lock fix may require a different constant, all depends on the bios. But as you are able to boot the system I would be reluctant to tell you to change things.

@Edhawk: what is best way to change the Framebuffer? I tried hackintool, but that gives strange results and I don't understand what to do with the patch.

With 00009B3E graphics work, but still no acceleration.

@Edhawk: how do I make sure DVMT is OK?

I see info from this German guy with a 3060 i5 8500 who uses this:

CFG Lock (disable)
setup_var 0x5BE 0x0

DVMT Pre-Allocated (64 MB)
setup_var 0x8DC 0x2

DVMT Total Gfx Mem (max)
setup_var 0x8DD 0x3

XHCI Hand-off (enabled)
setup_var 0x1B 0x1

XHCI Legacy Support
setup_var 0x1A 0x1

EHCI Hand-off (enabled)
setup_var 0x2 0x1

I am hesitant to poke these values without knowing if these are the proper addresses...
I tried to peek(on byte level) what the current values are, but that didn't look OK.

Your insights most welcome.

BTW, the EFI from this German guy kernel panics in the graphics department. But that is without poking his values with setup_var first.

OK. Fixed. After poking the right values(as per the German guy's instructions) in the right registers, iGPU is accelerated.

Dell 3060 has different register addresses from 3050:

CFG Lock (disable)
0x5BE 0x0

0x8DC 0x2

DVMT Total Gfx Mem (max)
0x8DD 0x3

XHCI Hand-off (enabled)
0x1B 0x1

XHCI Legacy Support
0x1A 0x1

EHCI Hand-off (enabled)
0x2 0x1

OK. Fixed. After poking the right values(as per the German guy's instructions) in the right registers, iGPU is accelerated.

Dell 3060 has different register addresses from 3050:

CFG Lock (disable)
0x5BE 0x0

0x8DC 0x2

DVMT Total Gfx Mem (max)
0x8DD 0x3

XHCI Hand-off (enabled)
0x1B 0x1

XHCI Legacy Support
0x1A 0x1

EHCI Hand-off (enabled)
0x2 0x1
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Not mine, giving this to a friend.
Regardless if this machine is yours or not.....

• Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for or your latest system. Since they are viewable under your avatar they need to kept as small as possible and limited to one system only.

Desktop profile field recommendations:
    • Motherboard: limited to manufacturer, model, UEFI/BIOS version and boot loader separated by "-", i.e. ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming - 1002 - Clover UEFI or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH - F6.
    • CPU: limited to model number and clock speed if over-clocked, i.e. i7-8700 or i7-8700K OC 4.5 GHz.
    • Graphics: limited to model, i.e. GTX 1070, R9 570, HD 4000, HD 630 or GTX 1060 / HD 630.

Laptop profile field recommendations:
    • Motherboard: limited to laptop manufacturer name, model, BIOS version and boot loader separated by "-", i.e. Dell XPS 13 9360 - 2.8.1 - Clover UEFI.
    • CPU: limited to model number and optionally chipset, i.e. i7-7500U or i7-3630QM/HM77.
    • Graphics: limited to model and resolution, i.e. HD 4000 1920 x 1280, HD 630 or GTX 1060/ HD 630 3840 × 2160.

• Some examples of disallowed information are part numbers for anything other than motherboard or laptop, CPU and/or chipset code names, device ids or details for more than one system.
  • Any profile field that contains data that was not previously described as allowed will be edited and/or removed by a moderator without notice. Repeat offenders may have their posting privileges suspended.
from the rules you agreed to when you signed up here

Back